What Solid State Amps with Output Transformer do you know of?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may interest you because it uses an auto-transformer with a standard solid state amp.
Currently on french forum Audax, there are some discussions about an old patent for a circuit called SEREA which is said to improve the sound of speakers (no reinjection of back EMF ?):
http://www.audax.fr/forum/read_mess.php3?id=22708#ID60652
See the following post :
Reponse de Ruchat
Posté le : 19-09-06 à 05:22 (US)

An approximate translation :
Have an SS amp of more than 30 W and an output transformer for a push pull of EL34 (a mains toroid sould work too). Connect the amp output to the 4 Ohms and ground connections of the transformer secondary side. Connect an 8 Ohm speaker to the 8 Ohm and ground connections of the transfomer secondary side. On the primary side, leave it open circuit, or use a 10 Kohm or an RC circuit to get the best square wave.

forr said:
Currently on french forum Audax, there are some discussions about an old patent for a circuit called SEREA which is said to improve the sound of speakers (no reinjection of back EMF ?):

Hi Forr

Interesting audio forum , I really appreciate the thread :

http://www.audax.fr/forum/read_mess.php3?id=49046#ID60771

About feedback (contrareaction en Français... :) ) and the EMF interaction in a feedback amplifier.

I also remember the 800 Ohms Philips speakers that can be used with tube amps , without the output transformer.

Also in the 80 I use to read the articles in the HI-FI Stereo Magazine from R. Brault, that was a fanatic against the use of any feedback in an audio amplifier.

Last time I hear from him, was in a article about a Fabro Elactronique amp designed by him, but I don't know if it had any success in France...

Cheers. (Salut... :) )

Hi,

I will try to draw the SEREA schematics. We haven't found the original article yet. It was published in Le Revue du Son around 1973.

Brault :
before having some audiophile inclinations (no feedback, high impedance output amplifiers) Brault wrote a book about amplifiers which was very good and which makes me understand the fundamentals about solid state electronics and amplification.
Fabro remained a confidential compagny, I do not know if it exists anymore. I met Brault about fifteen years ago, he was a quite old man.

Philips 800 Ohm loudspeaker :
the very thin wire of the moving coil was fragile.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Most PA amplifiers use a transformer to match 25 and 70V lines. They may also couple directly from the transformer primary also. This means the transformer is across the 4 / 8 ohm output all the time.

Any DC offset and the fuse blows. Load protection idea! Heavy though.

Look to Bogen or Dukane to name two. These are proper transformers and not an autoformer.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.