what preamp for hypex UcD180? DIY or used?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I also have that DIY kit remote control board. It's pretty nice and easy to use. I have the documentation if someone needs it.

To this kit one can add just connectors for a passive pre, or the solid state or tube buffer of your choice for active.

I think the motorized pot is of good, but not world class, quality. It's a 4 channel Alps pot.

Dear all,

finally I come back to you after very long thinking to present my final solution with regards to the preamp. Finally I bought this preamp (Advance Acoustics MPP-206):

http://www.hollandlink.nl/hifi/mpp-206-EN.htm

here you find some nice photos of the product and of the internal part.

I would like some of your thoughts on this choice and hopefully not a stupid one :cannotbe:

Then, being a newbie I would need some clarification from you on the dual mono hypex Ucd 180 that I want to build to be associated to the preamp:

I would need (pls correct me if I am wrong):

2x UcD180HG with HxR' (UcD180HG with premounted high performance HxR-regulators)

1x Push Button (50mA/24V DC contact rating).

1xSoftstart module (1 or 2???)

2xTransformer TR180 (160VA double insulated potted toroidal transformer)

2xUcD signal cable 50cm balanced signal cable with 4-pin connector also providing the enable signal.

and finally

2x XLR3 sockets

4x speaker sockets

I know reading most of the forum that these are really basic and stupid questions but thanks to all who will help me confirming that I dont need anything else and giving me some advise on the preamp (I have some days to return it if it is not good)

Ciao

I was re-reading my post from yesterday having seen no replies and I wanted to clarify that here I was referring to my choice (hopefully not a stupid choice) and not on your thoughts... just in case my spaghetti-english could have been misunderstood!!!

zazzero said:
I would like some of your thoughts on this choice and hopefully not a stupid one :cannotbe:

I have been using a dual mono UCD180 set up for a couple of years now and tried various preamps during that time, both active circuits and passive.

Passive switched WIshay-Dale resistor ladder - not bad
Passive DIY Maggie autoformer inductive - much better than resistive passive, but with my source not enough signal, needs more gain to drive my speakers well.

Active - Kookaburra was good but gave some noice at higher gain settings (white noise raising the noise floor significantly) Never got the bottom of that, so consigned the Kook to the sidelines.

Best to date is a pair of Avondale 821 boards fed from an ALW superreg. Very musical, very transparent (it seems).

I have an AD815 based circuit in the ppipeline and a PFM Starfish board on order, so plenty of future experimentation still to come.

Suffice to say, the Hypex UCD amps have impressed every step of the way. Get the cleanest preamp you can and enjoy music.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.