what is this component? (surface mount)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks cecil :)

looks like someone already played with the toroid closest to the terminals as the solder job wasn't that great so i redid it! i did notice the cross-over board got a little warm, maybe this is normal but i wasn't concearned as i had it playing quite a while and it didn't get too hot to touch just warm...

i'm really impressed with this amp, the fit and finish is as good as any amp i've ever seen, attention to detail is amazing on the case!

i wouldn't mind one of the big mono blocks to match it, would make for a very simple set up with plenty of power

:)

Yeah there are two current limit resistors that like to burn out on those cards, along with push button failures and bad thru-hole connections to the board I.E. broken solder joint on the thru-holes.

Then theres the big noise filter toroid that shorts out on itself and causes the entire power supply to burn out. I HIGHLY recommend removing the filter toroid and rewinding it with insulation like Kapton tape on the bare toroid and if possible transformer lacquer to seal the coils to prevent abrasion shorting issues.

Other then these repeated failure issues I think they are really well built and offer outstanding eye candy effect also , sorta like PG amps from the day. I actually bought the 5 spare boards as possible build ups, but just never got the time or sinks to follow through on the idea...lol lol lol I remember when they were bought cause all they did was place a stencil over the old name on the boards and continue selling these amps...C:)

lol lol lol I remember when they were bought cause all they did was place a stencil over the old name on the boards and continue selling these amps...C

try black insulation tape, yes that's what mine had!! i pulled it off out of curiosity and there lies "Esotric Audio" and "E7056" :D so i left it off.

i'm not quite upto rewinding toroids yet, probley more confidance than skill needed at my level although i'd like to try one day :)

The filter toroids are simple all you need to do is make sure and count the windings coming off and just make sure the same number go back on and there is no real order to mess up, just a pain in the toukus...lol lol lol

Your aware of my project on the other place, so yeah I'm feeling you about winding toroids but its worth it in the long run. You can find all the magnet wire you will need on flea-bay of all places. They even sell small spools of 2 or 3 hundred feet for small jobs like yours...

If your not up for a rewind then try and find some transformer lacquer to coat it with before closing up your toy, they fail from abrasion of the coatings so if you catch it early it will never happen, but the windings need to be sealed with something that will keep them from vibrating and abrading the insulation coatings...C:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.