What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My standpoint about cosmologists is that there is no reference with which to measure the quality of theorising, only comparison with other theorises.

The same is true in art college, one finds a bunch of lecturers saying "It (does or) doesn't really work does it?" This, without giving any criteria for assessment.

Way back here I followed up one of my posts to say that I was of course merely guessing and that I have no formal education in the subject matter. I was informed that this thread has no intention to be strictly factual but is for venting ideas and wonderings + crazy ideas in general so I was not to worry. Felt good.

Keep it this way?
Posts which seek to discredit the scientific method, while displaying ignorance of the science itself, have crept in.

I will no longer be responding to such posts.

I will, however, continue to participate in "ideas and wonderings + crazy ideas" insofar as they don't conceal a hidden agenda. :cool:

Attachments

• Apple Pie Universe.jpg
    Apple Pie Universe.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 55
Posts which seek to discredit the scientific method, while displaying ignorance of the science itself, have crept in.

I will no longer be responding to such posts.

I will, however, continue to participate in "ideas and wonderings + crazy ideas" insofar as they don't conceal a hidden agenda. :cool:

Hadn't noticed anyone discrediting scientific method, and surely all scientists speculate beyond the threshold of what is known in order to try to gain further understanding.

There's some indication that we (homo sapiens) willfully chose to eradicate the other humanoid races very early on. Not surprising at all, get rid of the competition just in case they decide to move in next door.
It is known that Neandertals and modern humans co-existed in some fashion for tens of thousands of years in the Middle East.

For a long time, it was believed that the modern humans in Europe, known as Cro-Magnons, drove the Neandertals before them as they advanced westward across the continent. Now it is suggested that Europe was such an empty place that they may not have encountered each other at all!

However, like cosmology, anthropology has many different interpretations of the available data.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's interesting we don't consider other isolated races as other species yet an isolated group of ancient remains is considered such. There are living examples of people with the exact physical characteristics of the so called neanderthals. We had a family friend in the very recent past who fit the bill perfectly. He was a tobacco farmer here in Ontario but the way he played the accordion would have embarrassed Lawrence Welk. He has three daughters and all are absolute knock outs.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I read somewhere that at their height, there were probably only 10 000 Neantherdal breeding pairs in Europe and they weren’t eradicated by Homo sapiens but simply subsumed through interbreeding. All non-African people’s have traces on Neantherdal DNA - the highest bring in northern Italy where in some communities it is as high as 4%. For the rest, it ranges between 1% and 3%.

:)

Edit: recent research has shown some traces of Neantherdal in Africans as well, but at much lower levels. The theory is that there was a return to Africa a few thousand years after the original exodus c. 70k BP that brought it in.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There was a show on natgeo a few years ago. The guy said if a Neantherdal in a suit walked past you in the street, you probably wouldn’t even turn your head.

If he took his shirt off, though, you notice he’d be pretty ripped. They theorize that they were enormously strong.

Last edited:
My evidence wasn't satisfactory for you?? This guy was 4' 8" tall, protruding lower jaw, seriously bowed legs, huge flat feet, hands with fingers almost as wide as long, and he was very hairy. Very ape-like. Yet his daughters are anything but.
amazing

It rarely comes up in papers, but it's possible homo sapiens women were raped and impregnated by Neanderthal men, is it not?
They were extra extra loaded with testosterone, after all, to maintain the much higher muscle mass to height ratio, compared to our genus.
Not much hankie pankie between species; the highest percentage of Neanderthal DNA present in modern humans only approaches 4%, if the studies I've come across are accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.