What is the sonic result of this crossover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you guys think if using an external inductor and resistor in series on the tweeter to introduce a baffle step that will allow me to give greater gain to the woofer by reducing gain of tweeter by 4db?

wow, did I even word that right? does that make any sense? I feel like a high school kid in physics class haha.

Last edited:
But on the cost of transient repsonse. I think tou will be better off selling the speaker, and buy one you like.

Oh I like the speaker, the sound signature, speed, transparency, grip, texture, everything about it I like, in-fact it's one of the best I've ever heard. The lean lows and lower mids I'm presently managing through an equalizer and it completely satisfies my need. This entire thread is more of a self learning process as I wanted to learn more about crossovers and I've learnt a lot in just one day of you guys helping me out. I now understand what inductors do, what resistors do, what capacitors do and how capacitance works yet dosnt always work when one follows nothing but theory.

In the future I will probably get a sub to make up for the deep end of the bass. However for now I'm thinking of trying out the external inductor and resistor in serial on the tweeter binding post for learning sake.

re:"using an external inductor and resistor in series on the tweeter to introduce a baffle step ' - you're nearly on the right track, to increase baffle step, you'd increase the inductor that's in series with the woofer (or add another in series), and add a series resistor to the tweeter. But that reduces efficiency, & changes the things that you like about this speaker. I'd add helper woofers if you've got the space, as Moondog suggested (or a sub).
If you want to try the inductor, calculate the baffle step freq by 115/width(metres), and choose the inductor by using the woofer's impedance at that frequency in an on-line 1st order crossover calculator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.