What is the Sansui TR-707A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I went and saw it, but decided not to get it since the seller was insistent that I take this single "Electra" speaker with it.

The Sansui receiver was about 20 lbs but I don't know if that was mostly power supply or sheet metal. No tubes - said solid state on the front. At it had those old speaker terminals that take spade lugs and looked just like the one pic on the Web that I saw before I left the office this afternoon.

The corresponding speaker switch on the front was labelled Rev, Norm, L+R, L, and R. Sounds like phase reversal and mono variations so nothing unusual there. Or so I thought...

There were 4 speaker terminals in a box formation. The pair on the left were labelled L and R. The pair on the right were labelled C and had a single RCA connector next to them. I couldn't quite understand it. There didn't seem to be any negative terminals for the L/R pair. Very weird.

Before you all start thumping me for passing on the speaker, I don't think it is the JMlab Electra. It looks as old as the receiver, about 20"w x 12"d x 24"h, is made of some kind of veneer ply and has feet. The seller said they opened it once and saw the driver was labelled Electra and that corresponded with sticker on the back. In any case, it is a single and they had it hooked up to both L and R terminals.

I have left the deal somewhat open - made an offer for the Sansui only, so if someone thinks it's worth it, even for the PS, then I'll go back and get it.

:)ensen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
purplepeople said:
The pair on the right were labelled C

The C usually stands for Common (ie the ground or black terminal)

Before you all start thumping me for passing on the speaker, I don't think it is the JMlab Electra. It looks as old as the receiver, about 20"w x 12"d x 24"h, is made of some kind of veneer ply and has feet. The seller said they opened it once and saw the driver was labelled Electra and that corresponded with sticker on the back.

Electra in this case is the Japanese manufacturer. They built some pretty interesting stuff, but didn't survive the transition to SS.

If it is an Electra made in Japan i might be interested in it (particularily if it is cheap). Later Electra models were assembled in Canada and aren't as exciting (still they have some reasonable drivers if the price is right). If it actually has an Electra label on the driver it is likely one of the more exotic ones made by Coral. And if there was only one driver in the box there is a good chance it is one of their co-axials.

Having it hooked up to both channels is a bit scary -- i'd check to make sure it survived.

dave

Attachments

• electras.jpg
    electras.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 272
I wish I had a DV cam in my eyeball

Hi Dave,

Connecting to the L/R + terminal would be just like bridging the amp to the speaker. The only other similar connection scheme is the Hafler matrix, in which a main speaker doesn't get connected to the common but only the amp + and the + terminals of the surround speaker(s).

Anyway, the driver sounded okay. We were listening to the radio and while the highs were a little dim, they did not sound like the driver had been abused.

Unfortunate, I did not get a chance to peek inside the speaker. The guy (of retirement age) selling it didn't seem that eager to show it off or take it apart to make the sale. But if his word is good, then it is also an Electra label on the driver, which he said is about 12" in size.

The terminals on the back of the enclosure were definitely spade lug screw types. There was also a pot on the upper right of the enclosure back. I don't remember the label on it exactly, but I recall that it was some kind of treble or hi filter attenuator, L-pad or something like that. Unfortunately, it wouldn't turn. The cabinet even has one of those diamand pattern trellis style grilles on the front.

The speaker was definitely full range, although the treble was a bit dim. When I flipped the loudness, hi filter and lo filter rocker switches (yes...rockers), there was the corresponding EQ. With loudness on, and everything else flat, the acoustic bass a la Brubeck was pretty good coming from the Electra. (It's a good thing I always carry my Panasonic discman with 1/8 to RCA cables for situations just like this.)

If you'd like I'll look at it again on Wednesday night. He's asking $50 for the set. I offered up to $35 for just the receiver, which I thought was more than fair. He wouldn't budge so I'd guess he really wants to sell them together - he claims to be moving and doesn't want to move them to the new place.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: I wish I had a DV cam in my eyeball

If it has a pot then it is no doubt a 2-way. Pictured is an 8, they also came in 10s & 12s.

I'd be happy to pay the $15 difference for the speaker, if you are willing to hang on to it until i next catch the ferry over to Canada :) or arrange a pickup -- do you ever get over to the island? (i'll send money, you don't have to wait for that)

dave

Okay then, I'll see if it is still available.

As for the waiting game, not to worry. I leave Canada once in a while as some of my friends actually live in the big city on the south end of your rock. If you happen to know Ms. Astrid of the V-Island-News morning show, I'd love an introduction. I'd love to see the faces on the PCL bus driver as I ask him to load this weird speaker into the hold.

If you can't wait. There's always UPS - oh wait, they charge extra duty and handling for the ferry ride. (Inside joke, everyone - see another thread). I've actually heard of Canada Post moving stuff this big. And, I'm pretty sure Canpar, Greyhound and PCL will move it for less than the cost of a person.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cool....

I applied for a job at the VI, but the only one there i've met (that i know of) is Moe.

Canada Post will ship, but the problem is packing it up to survive the trip. The bus would be the best -- you could just slap a piece of cardboard on the front & the back, since the boxes will end up as shelving or firewood.

But best, best is hand delivery, then we could have coffee too. I'll be coming thru Van in Dec at the latest.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.