What is the Name of this Diaphragm Material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By emulating, I meant "clone /copy " the sound. There is a large subset of the DIY speaker building fraternity ( is it sexist to postulate that most females wouldn't be bothered with this part of the hobby?) whose goals include getting as close as possible to the performance and/ or look of something they've heard in a shop, at a show, or in a friend's system, but is orders of magnitude above their budget.

How would listening to / comparing a range of different drivers "without a unique enclosure for each one" tell you how they'd sound in the most appropriate enclosure for your particular application? If you mean listening to them in free air, I can never remember hearing any one and thinking - I like that, and know for sure it will exactly fit the bill in any random box .

If you mean listening to them in free air, I can never remember hearing any one and thinking - I like that, and know for sure it will exactly fit the bill in any random box .
Funny :)
And you're right - of course the sound changes drastically when in free air over when in an enclosure.

But well, free air can help eliminate the completely irrelevant ones..
So that's phase A..

After that, using some general enclosure, for comparing the good ones that passed phase A.
That's phase B.

And lastly, build a good enclosure for the one you really enjoyed.

What i your opinion about this method?

Should make things more efficient, rather than creating so many enclosures..

I think it's the "some general enclosure" that could give misleading or misrepresentative results.

I'll go back to an earlier remark about "if you've heard a pair or two that you quite fancy" ....
Is there something that fits that description which you'd like to get close to with a DIY build, or are you just really "mucking about"? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My goal is not to imitate some speakers that I've heard in a store.
My wish is to try several speakers, see which one is closest to my taste,
and then stay with it.

The reason for the "try several speakers" part, is because different speakers have different sound.
Same way like you hear speakers in a store.. some you will like, some you will not even consider buying..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.