What is the current cutting edge in audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this website is dedicated to DIY audio but I am curious what is currently the cutting edge of audio technology. This sounds like a simple google and read topic but as I am sure many of you have found if you have done that that the audio world is mired down in renaming, rebranding, hype and marketing. There is so much marketing that it becomes near impossible to separate the rehypeing of old tech from real new innovations without a huge investment in time and research.

So what is actually new in the audio world?

Data 'visualisation' using 3D sound

You might be interested in the Allosphere project at UC Santa Barbara.

A 10m diameter perforated metal sphere within an anechoic chamber. 3D images (eg of chemical/physical/geological processes - basically anything) are projected onto the interior and viewed from a central catwalk. Data are also represented sonically in full 3-D surround(!) projected from the exterior of the sphere.

There's a brief video about it here:
www.ted.com/index.php/talks/joann_kuchera_morin_tours_the_allosphere.html

Homepage is: http://www.allosphere.ucsb.edu/

Sounds pretty cutting edge, and you can even visit - I wish it were closer to me!

If any diyaudioers in the region ever do, please write up the visit here!

Best,
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.