What is the coating on the Dayton DC28F silk dome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so here are further comments and some results.

Mouse glue pads cost about $3. I originally thought I had Naptha in the house, but had to buy a qt for $8 (nice to have around anyway). I tried thinning the mouse glue with both mineral spirits and acetone first, but they did not work well. The Naptha worked perfect, but slow. Used only about one tablespoon, mixed it in with a glob of mouse glue and stirred (several minutes) and added more Naptha until I got a very uniformly thin solution. At that point I used a cleaned nail polish brush to brush a swipe onto paper- too thin. So I just waited about 30 minutes for the Naptha to evaporate then tried again... still too thin. Waiting again, finally the third try left a thin sticky residue. I then brushed it on the silk dome where the original coating had peeled off. After testing I decide to put a little more on, then tested again after waiting overnight.

Here are the graphs:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The "stock" line is from the tweeter that is an undamaged new tweeter. You can readily see the problems caused by the peeled off coating on the damaged tweeter.

Looks like the repair worked pretty well! Though not perfect. I have not yet listened to them, it may be awhile before I actually put these into a box.

Thanks to Zvu for the idea of using mouse glue and Naptha! It was a fun experiment.

As satisfying an exploration as I could imagine. Thanks.

Given how wonderful these domes are (including after repairs), sure is appealing to cross them over real low.

Of course, not a lot of difference between a cone driver and a compression horn driver.Interesting to see some promising new designs recently to finally make progress on the ancient Rice-Kellogg cone driver. Pity we've seen so little progress on cone speakers for the last 80 years.

BTW, can you post other curves esp distortion?

B.

I'm glad you asked :) Since I'm new to all this, I've never looked at distortion yet.. And so I don't really know how to read them or the significance of any of the individual plots. I simply loaded the files and clicked on the distortion tab (in REW) and this is what I got:

silkdome_stock_distortion.png

silkdome_repaired_distortion.png

Maybe one of you can interpret for me? Looks like the fundamental is way higher for the repaired, but otherwise not sure...

Hi Keithostertag.

Results are as i would expected it to be since i tested it some 12 years ago. I think that that dip at arround 12KHz would dissapear with one more thin layer.

Glad you've had fun doing it :) I always love to see when life is put back into something.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.