What is the best DIY phono preamp projectY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
steenoe said:
Yep, the Pearl is much higher regarded, but I didnt exactly build Rod's, so I cant comment on the sound of it, but I made a few RIAA preamps, very much like it. The Pearl is by far the better sounding. It outperforms most phono-preamps that I have heard,even with a pricetag over 1000$ or more. The Pearl is great and easy to build following the instructions. That or the Aleph ONO (the Pearl is a scaled down version of the ONO) as Analog suggests; which might sound a tad better, but I never heard it myself so I wont comment on the sound;) The Aleph ONO does not come with the nice building instructions though. So all in all, considering your skills, I dont hesitate, recommending the Pearl:)

Steen:)

Hi to everyone, adn thank you for all your replies! This one above seems to sum it up. So it seems like the Pearl one is the best for me? Then, how do I actuallly set about making it? On their site, they have no more boards. Do you know where I can buy the boards? Does anyone have any? Or, is there a way to make it without boards? And, about the casing - is that something I must make myself? What are the important elements of that? I can just about work with wood. Even laquer it with Japanese laquer! And I can buy metal in the DIY store. I don't know the necessities of shielding and what materials etc are required. Would love to hear about it. And, power supply? I have to build that too right? (For Japanese and maybe later English voltage). Which power supply?

And, how much is this going to cost, in terms of parts?

Thank you all very much.
Justin

analog_sa said:

This is only the linear input stage.
It's followed by a passive network and an opamp.

Okay.
Here is part 2.
With RIAA filter and an OP27 amplifier. See attachment!

( I would have used an OP37 as the gain is way above unity in this stage )

Today there are modern variants to replace OP27(unity gain stable) and OP37.
Still OP37 is no way a bad audio op amplifier ......

Improved modern Replacements are
OPA227, unity gain stable, and OPA228 stable at gain >=5

# LOW NOISE: 3nV/(Hz)
# WIDE BANDWIDTH:

* OPA227: 8MHz, 2.3V/µs
* OPA228: 33MHz, 10V/µs

# SETTLING TIME: 5µs (significant improvement over OP-27)
# HIGH CMRR: 138dB
# HIGH OPEN-LOOP GAIN: 160dB
# LOW INPUT BIAS CURRENT: 10nA max
# LOW OFFSET VOLTAGE: 75µV max
# WIDE SUPPLY RANGE: ±2.5V to ±18V
# OPA227 REPLACES OP-27, LT1007, MAX427
# OPA228 REPLACES OP-37, LT1037, MAX437
# SINGLE, DUAL, AND QUAD VERSIONS

lineup

Attachments

• ina103-mm-phono_paoletti-part2.png
    ina103-mm-phono_paoletti-part2.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,189
lineup said:

Okay.
Here is part 2.
With RIAA filter and an OP27 amplifier. See attachment!

( I would have used an OP37 as the gain is way above unity in this stage )

Today there are modern variants to replace OP27(unity gain stable) and OP37.
Still OP37 is no way a bad audio op amplifier ......

Improved modern Replacements are
OPA227, unity gain stable, and OPA228 stable at gain >=5

lineup

Hello
Is this (above) something I can build? Like, with instructions? (I cannot read the symbolic script of electronica). Is it better, performance wise, than the Pearl? (I know that may be a subjective question but I would certainly want subjective answers here, as this is listening to music we are talking about).

And, to respond to an earlier question as to what my reasons/aims are? Yes, I want to save money. I like and appreciate good quality items, whatever it may be. And, I like to pay the very minimum for them, where possible. So if that means building, that's nice too, as it is kind of more personal and happy that way!
Thanks
Justin

pinkmouse said:
I would start with the VSPS. It's simple, cheap, and has full instructions for building. The Pearl is reportedly excellent, but requires more experience to get right or troubleshoot if you have problems.

If possible I would rather make the high quality one, so I never have to make one again! Just make a good one and be done with it. I have done soldering when I was at school (12 years ago) but have no understanding of the workings of these things. However I am good with my hands and some would say intelligent. What do you reckon, am I in for a good chance at the good one (seems to be the Pearl?)?
Justin

Pearl Phono, Aleph Ono, Aleph Xono Nelson Pass www.passdiy.com www.passlabs.com

Justinasia said:

If possible I would rather make the high quality one, so I never have to make one again! Just make a good one and be done with it. I have done soldering when I was at school (12 years ago) but have no understanding of the workings of these things. However I am good with my hands and some would say intelligent. What do you reckon, am I in for a good chance at the good one (seems to be the Pearl?)?
Justin

I understand you want to build it yourself saving some money.
This is easily done.
Whatever diy phono pre amplifier you build,
it will be lower in price than comparative commercial, sometimes many times cheaper.

Then comes the other criteria, wish you have:
- And I would like it to be not too hard to make!
- I am not an expert at this, though, I am careful with my hands.

I think you would be able to build most any
advanced, complicated and extreme performance diy phono amplifier.
What you would need, to do this, like anybody with normal intelligence could do:

- A ready made PCB - circuit board layout to fit components,
possible to order online, or buy from somebody private using email contact.

- Very good and detailed building instructions.
Good if practical guide is in Step-By-Step and including Images
to show critical moments of construction.

- If still are a few issues you run into and need to ask,
you have some of the best knowledge to found in the internet, right here at forum.

When you have found this good project you feel you would want to try,
it does not matter much if this design in question is
world's most advanced and most ultra in performance.

---------------------------------------------------------

You have already gotten some very fine options here.
I know you think a bit of Pearl / Aleph Ono by Mr. Pass.
But you want to make sure there isn't any better project that you would miss, before make your decision.

I say, if you now make up your mind to go for one of those
www.passdiy.com www.passlabs.com phono amplifier projects, you wont miss much.
They are surely top class.
And you have plenty of people around here that knows every bit of those
as they have actually built and listened to them amplifiers!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Pearl Phono
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/pearlono1.htm

Aleph Ono
I can't find the DIY homepage or Schematics of this amplifier.
Maybe only in some topics here in forum ......

Aleph Xono
This is a later variant of Aleph Ono - but basically same

===============================================

What I have got, performance differences between these two, Pearl / Ono, very small.
I also got it Aleph Ono is a bit more easy to build.
So, I personally would go for Aleph Ono, because I like simplicity
- which many times even can give better sound
than more complicated and - in theory - superior solutions.

But, it is your choice!
And you can take your time. No hurry to jump on any train,
I guess ....

Regards
lineup

cviller said:
As far as I know there are no boards available for pearl at passdiy, but Promitheus might still have some left.

If you can make pcbs your self or know someone who can do it for you, you can get my layout which has just been changed to fit almost any capacitor, so finding parts should be easier. You can look in my thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90136

Thanks for that. If I cannot find any boards maybe yes I can try to make some! I have mailed Prometheus so hope to hear back from him. Also, if anyone has answers to my above post, Post #21, I would be very grateful!
Thank you!
Justin

Justinasia said:

Thanks for that. If I cannot find any boards maybe yes I can try to make some! I have mailed Prometheus so hope to hear back from him. Also, if anyone has answers to my above post, Post #21, I would be very grateful!
Thank you!
Justin

It depends very much on how you can get components. Wayne writes in the end of his article that you can get the components for $100 - but unless you have a lot lying around, my guess is that it will be more when you include the casing.
The expensive stuff is the capacitors and the transformer. It is not actually cheap to diy, but I think you can get better sound for the price.
You could read this article about Aleph Ono, which you can also make, but it has more parts and is more expensive:
http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/199pass/

I can't really say much about the sound, because I haven't heard it, but pearl is mostly for MM while Aleph Ono is more flexible.

cviller said:

It depends very much on how you can get components. Wayne writes in the end of his article that you can get the components for $100 - but unless you have a lot lying around, my guess is that it will be more when you include the casing.
The expensive stuff is the capacitors and the transformer. It is not actually cheap to diy, but I think you can get better sound for the price.
You could read this article about Aleph Ono, which you can also make, but it has more parts and is more expensive:
http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/199pass/

I can't really say much about the sound, because I haven't heard it, but pearl is mostly for MM while Aleph Ono is more flexible.

What is the likely cost of the Aleph Ono, all the parts I mean? Anyone know? If it is the same as the Pearl but better sounding, it should be a better choice, right?

And, it says it can take different cartridges - do you just turn a knob to adjust this thing for different cartridges? Or do you have to take out resistors and resolder in different ones, etc? That would be not so convenient!

Also, is there any phono preamp of this standard that I can make that is also adjustable for playing different 78s? Or is it better to build a totally seperate phono preamp for that?
Thanks all!
Justin

Justinasia said:

What is the likely cost of the Aleph Ono, all the parts I mean? Anyone know? If it is the same as the Pearl but better sounding, it should be a better choice, right?

And, it says it can take different cartridges - do you just turn a knob to adjust this thing for different cartridges? Or do you have to take out resistors and resolder in different ones, etc? That would be not so convenient!

Also, is there any phono preamp of this standard that I can make that is also adjustable for playing different 78s? Or is it better to build a totally seperate phono preamp for that?
Thanks all!
Justin

It's very likely that mine is a minority opinion but here goes.

Most of the Ono builds duplicate exactly the functions of the commercial product - compatibility with all sorts of carts, balanced output, etc. If you don't have any use for a balanced output you can certainly save some money on removing this feature. Same for the moving coil pre-pre. The basic MM circuit works quite well and sounds reasonably good - certainly better than any single opamp circuit. I would not say the same for the MC section. It is certainly very flexible with all the gain and loading choices it offers but IMO does not maximise the sound potential of MC carts to the same extent as a nice transformer or a less flexible active device.

Apart from the PS and case the cost to build (using industrial quality parts) is very low.

Justinasia said:

Also, is there any phono preamp of this standard that I can make
that is also adjustable for playing different 78s?
Or is it better to build a totally seperate phono preamp for that?

I would use a separate high quality amp for normal and modern RIAA recordings.

Then you can have an extra, with selectable filters for different recording standards.
For example using one 2x6 positions rotating switch
to select 6 different equalization circuit networks.
This would cover 6 recording standards.

==========================================

There is a transistor based, phono preamplifier circuit
that also can use such different R C combination in the feedback loop.
It is kind of old style amplifier, but I am sure it works better than you think!
With some upgrading to modern transistors and good components
it might even perform HiFi.

At this dedicated website for REPRODUCTION OF 78rpm RECORDS
It is by Roger Wilmut.
http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/index.html

http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/repro78/repro.html

This Preamplifier page:
PREAMPLIFIER CIRCUIT FOR EQUALIZATION OF 78rpm RECORDS

RIAA, EMI, Columbia, DECCA, Blumlein / HMV, Westrex ...
Here are those specific feedback filters, Resistors + Capacitors:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

steenoe said:
Hi Justinasia. If you decide for the Aleph ONO, you definately want to read through this thread. I link you directly to the updated project files, so you have to go back to page 1 yourself;) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1023631#post1023631
Algar_emi did a great job on that one.

Steen:)

Thank you very much.
Now it seems it is all down to the Pearl and Ono. So, I will post another thread more specific about that. Thank you all!
Justin

Hi,

Working for the last 3 month on the FVP5A from Allen Wright ; A hybrid MM/MC
http://www.vacuumstate.com/schematics/fvp5a_s.gif

At this time following John Broskie I have built 2 of his his new HV PS
with great success. HV 250 Volts with IC LT356
http://www.tubecad.com/2006/11/blog0087.htm

Custom made toroid 120 VA from Sumr with 2 secondaries 250volts at 100 mA
2 heater circuit for 6.3 DC at .6 A
1 circuit 12 Volts for mute at the output and delay HV PS's at 30 seconds

The input 2SK170 BL have been paired at 2 and 6 mA for about 0.002mA delta

Have added a dip switch for input impedance MC matching with:
25 / 56 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 Ohms resistors
matched at le lower range of my 37Xr Meterman
added 30 / 60 / 100 fP caps

Got 2 set's of nice EH 6922 paired tubes

And already designed the position of components...

Last week got 2 nice SRC 0.22 uF FEP/SN teflon caps at Solen
and have all the rest...

Time to build a nice wood chassis...

Regards.

Alain.

Attachments

• fvp5a_02.jpg
    fvp5a_02.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,578
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.