What is the Best 2way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well for quality/$$$ in a kit Earl Geddes Abbey's are very hard to bead:

Abbey

For a 2 way I would love to have A pair of the big SoundLab electrostatics with a ESL Sub (They do make them) aree Very Nice.

Sound Lab Majestic - Full range electrostatic loudspeaker

SoundLab is an unfortunate choice of name - there are hundreds of cheap rubbish products around from China with SoundLab written on them. Presumably a different SoundLab but all the same - terrible company naming if you want to get into ultra-fi!

SoundLab is an unfortunate choice of name - there are hundreds of cheap rubbish products around from China with SoundLab written on them. Presumably a different SoundLab but all the same - terrible company naming if you want to get into ultra-fi!

They have done business under that name for 30+ years they sell a lot in the far east also best ESL speakers I have heard/owned.

but then again, I have actually listened to them.
Ditto, Krix Lyrix........ and that is the point, who else has heared these?
Bloody brilliant, after hearing those, everything else sounds the same, TO ME.

My advice, if your still out there somewhere, listen to plenty, don't be in a hurry, you'll know it when you hear it. When you do, grab it, otherwise, you may never hear it again.

PS 'IT' being, the entire system, and the room they are in if you can. 'It' is out there! (cue the X files theme).

Mick.:)

Last edited:
WATT Puppies Clone, THOR, or some Efficient Loudspeaker

has the OP even replied back ?

Hehe. Have the other posters even read the original question? I haven't seen an answer yet.

Best 2-way DIY loudspeaker. I will assume a passive crossover.

There are so many designers that are just up to the task (equipment, skill, talent and knowledge of what they are trying to achieve) to build the "best" 2-way loudspeaker. What they need are just the perfect drivers, reasonable time to find out the best working conditions for each drivers, and a lot of time to design the enclosure.

Of course, the best speaker in the world can hardly be 2-way. That makes it "easier" to find out the best 2-way loudspeaker. And even if it is that easy to build one, it doesn't mean that those credible designers will want to build one.

The loudspeaker must be good in all frequency, thus not many drivers are up to this 2-way task, and the best bet is a horn loaded loudspeaker to reach the bottom frequency. It will be very big.

As for the drivers, there are at least two options. Going for high wattage amplifier (200W Class-A or 100W Tube) or going for high efficiency loudspeaker (and use the best 300B amplifier). Both ways we need huge loudspeaker to reach the bottom frequency.

The bigger the better, because you will choose drivers that have ultimate performance in high and middle frequency, and thus have the enclosure to help in the bottom end.

Take Scan-Speaks for candidate drivers. Ring radiator can go low but the quality is not up to the task. Revelator can go quite low with acceptable performance. But I think we need better tweeter (probably a ribbon) and not too big woofer. Seven inches looks promising. But now I think Scan-Speak just not up to the task!

Hmmm….. okay, 300B is great. Can we get a decent 50W 300B amp? Then we will build something like… WATT Puppies? Ah! Just find the clone! That is probably the best 2-way you can get for solid state amplifiers. The drivers look like Scan-Speak to me. It cannot produce the lowest octave but for a two way with such drivers you cannot sacrifice the midrange with big enclosure (tho horn is still possible)!

Or take Seas-Excell for better midrange. And we will have a THOR with bigger modified enclosure! Just find one, or build your own with longer pipe.

As for the efficient drivers, I have no idea… Lowther DX4 is the best I have ever owned (used them with cheap tube amp). They are not up to the task imo. At least you will have a loudspeaker as wide as a door as a compensation for the 300B midrange…

Hehe. Have the other posters even read the original question? I haven't seen an answer yet.

Best 2-way DIY loudspeaker. I will assume a passive crossover.

Read the original question? Isn't that like reading the instructions, before assembling something?

I'm not only guilty, but a bit embarrassed as well. For an answer to the actual question I'd have to give that one some thought.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.