What is an amplifier??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely correct. It is the one and only correct description of an amplifier.
Bakmeel, by your mathematical definition a transformer is an amplifier. And so is a potentiometer.

I think this is simply encapsulating the English common usage of the word amplify (to make bigger) but is not very useful or precise for engineering.

Like Curl and others, for engineering an "amplifier" must at least add energy.

traderbam said:

Bakmeel, by your mathematical definition a transformer is an amplifier. And so is a potentiometer.

In mathematical terms they are... In Matlab Simulink, I can simulate a mathematical transformer with two constant factor multipliers, e.g. an amplifier. One that amplifies current, and another that divides voltage. In those same terms, two resistors in a voltage divider setup resemble an amplifier with a gain factor between 0 and 1.

But ofcourse, that doesn't even get close to reality... For that I like to stick to my first description: a device that can control a larger power source (electrical or mechanical), following the lead of a signal at the control input.

Bouke

Hi!

Its amazing given we know our Amp_man too well.

An amplifier is a design that is made made perfectly solely by Amp_man and none other.

I stand corrected given schematics of the bests of the design the day Amp_man acknowledges them as a good or better design than his horses.

I hope this will bring the memory to order.

Regards

Rahul

It is some input tracked oscilator dedicated to create energy enougth to move an air

To move an air pump.

Sometimes it is an animal, as people say that have long tails.

Sometimes it is a language teacher, of some different expressions, as gutural, visceral, Cristal Clear, Deep, Thump and many others names.

It is something that makes some people watch a small screen with lines moving and say...hummmm good!....hummmm Bad!

Also is a lot of colored parts of some strange game to arrange parts to make some noise.

And there are people that call the result Music.

When you discover what is that "thing"...please, tell me.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.