What gives the best sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Harman scientists have found that listener preferences don't depend on age, nationality, preferred musical genres, or experience as a listener and produced formulas which do a good job predicting listener preference based on on-axis response,flatness smooth (probably as in first derivative versus frequency - I loaned out Toole's book to a friend) off-axis curves, and bass extension.

But is there consensus between the diyrs here and the Harman scientists?

in what way are they superb? integration? And have you heard the latest B&W bookshelf speakers?

The qualifier was 'when done right'. This is general knowledge I picked up on this forum and many others. There is a school of thought that says the simpler and less complicated you make a speaker, the better it sounds. And there are several commercial manufacturers that successfully subscribe to this philosophy.

And which new B&W speaker are you referring to. For a somewhat reasonable amount of money, the B&W CM5 are a pretty sweet bookshelf. As with the whole CM series, the watch words are Clear and Detailed.

In the bookshelf vein, I recently heard some Dynaudio Xeo 3, which are 5" active speakers, but I was stunned by the quality of the bass, and the very wide and present sound stage. In a discussion on another group, some said the Xeo 3 was just an active version of the £695/pr Dynaudio Excite X12. But for a simply 2-way bookshelf speaker, I was very impressed with it.

The rated response was only down to 48hz (unqualified), but the perceived bass was very impressive without being excessive and not a hint of drone, and once again, incredible sound stage.

So, yes, when done right, basic 2-way bookshelf speakers can be superb ... when done right, and for a price.

Steve/bluewizard

Harman scientists have found that listener preferences don't depend on age, nationality, preferred musical genres, or experience as a listener and produced formulas which do a good job predicting listener preference based on on-axis response,flatness smooth (probably as in first derivative versus frequency - I loaned out Toole's book to a friend) off-axis curves, and bass extension.

Hummmm .... Listener Preference ... what does that mean? Several people listen to a group of speakers, and they all point at the same one and say "I prefer that one"?

I generally find, that any given piece of equipment regardless of what it is will be equally loved by some people and hated by others with no clear reason why.

I like to think I can identify a good speaker when I hear one. But, it gets dicey when it come to choosing between two good speakers.

Which sounds better, the £7000 Dali Helicon 800 with bass response of 31hz at -3db and Twin 8" bass drivers, or the £7600 Focal Electra II 1038BE with 33hz at -3dB and Three 7" bass drivers?

Well, it depends on who you ask. Both are stunning, but I was in a discussion with someone who was just ragging on Focal speakers. I've not heard the 1000 series, but I have heard the Focal 800 series (836V, £1899/pr) and I was very impressed. The music just hung in the air disembodied from amps or speakers. Impressive indeed. Very clear speakers.

So again, my point is, even under the best circumstances, there is a subjective element, and I suspect an element of some people just being contrary. The haters are going to hate.

But that said, I think most people believe that they can tell a good speaker from a not so good speaker. But I think you have to compare them side by side to truly know.

I auditioned the B&W 683 and thought they sounded great until I heard the B&W CM. Comparatively, once I heard the CM, the 600 series sounded blurred, but I would have never known had I not heard the CM series to contrast them to.

I auditioned some Canton Karat and some Mordant Short Performance ($$$$$), and they were very impressive. But I made the mistake of listening to some relatively cheap Moraunt Short Carnival 6 speakers, compared to the other two, the Carnival sounded like they were buried in a bale of cotton. But I suspect if I had only heard the Carnival that day, I would have thought they sounded OK ... just OK ... not great. But in contrast to better speakers, they just could not cut it.

I'm not sure what my point is - perhaps that all things are relative to the frame of reference. Which makes me wonder about the methodology of the Harman "listener preference" tests. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I would like more details on exactly what that "listener preference" test involved.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.