What else? A PGA-preamplifier...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just try components for a preamp with PGA2320. Here are a few photos. Some Software-snippets are already running. I like the display. A dark amber-colored display behind golden-brown plexiglass.

regards Olaf

Attachments

• complete_01.jpg
    complete_01.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 548
  • Display+Encoder_01.jpg
    Display+Encoder_01.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 556
  • relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 538
  • Input_Buffer.jpg
    Input_Buffer.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 525
  • PGA2320_01.jpg
    PGA2320_01.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 527
Hi Tim,

I have seen your thread - nice work!

I mostly use AVR microcontroller and program with BASCOM. The controller board is "my" own standard. So I have always the same connection schemes for the peripherals.
The display is a EADOGM128. You can buy it with different display colors and backlights.
I got the remote control for little money from China (see photos).
Planned is still a level indicator and a output-buffer for other devices.

regards Olaf

Attachments

• dogm128e.pdf
    762 KB · Views: 42
  • Remote_02.jpg
    Remote_02.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 141
  • M16_Std_Board.JPG
    M16_Std_Board.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 259
Very nice Olaf ,
A few folks on other posts have had issues with noise. What is your experience.
I mostly use AVR microcontroller and program with BASCOM
Nice to hear. I also am using this compiler for my portable radio media player project. If you want to add a cheap FM radio, I can provide you with some details. Looks like you have lots of room left in that box :)
a level indicator
Check out the Elektor nixie tube project = neat. Linear Audio guy, Jan Didden said he made one.
Nixie VU Meter - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
i guess another thing to do is to use the ADC in the AVR

Very nice Olaf ,
A few folks on other posts have had issues with noise. What is your experience.

Hi,

I can not confirm this. I have a preamp built with PGA2311 who works very well. With the PGA2320 I also made no negative experiences.

The radio is not in focus (one of the "very nice to have" features) because HF in preamplifiers...

Check out the Elektor nixie tube project = neat. Linear Audio guy, Jan Didden said he made one.
That's a nice thing. I made a VU-Meter with the russian IN-9. It looks so good. But it have to wait for a tube amplifier. Also the magic eye (see fotos).

The preamplifier has the same enclosure then my spectrum analyser (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/226383-christmas-project-audio-analyser.html). I think is a lot of illumination ;-)

regards Olaf

Attachments

• MagicEye.jpg
    MagicEye.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Gesamt_IN9.jpg
    Gesamt_IN9.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 188
I do not see this an issue if using good shielding/filtering. You can always turn it (radio) off when not in use!! After all you do have a MCU running that continually emits a certain amount of RF.

Yes, you are right. With a MCU running - all discussions about HF is nonsense...

What chipset do you use for the radio, TDA5767 ist often used or RDA5802. I saw some modules on electrodragon.com. Nice toys...

regards Olaf

Hi Olaf,
I have a module of SI4735 from elektor but found no time to play with it.
Which one? DSP radio? or the earlier modulebus adapter?
The Elektor DSP radio - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
Software is already written in Bascom-AVR for this module.
Your equipment has some other features like usb, what is it, mp3?
I am using Rohm BU9458, which reads MP3/WMA/ACC files from USB disk (jump/flash) drive and SD card.
USB audio codec, using TI PCM2902B, this functions as a sound card.
rick

Very nice! Is it remote control input selection too?

Yes it is. If you use the forward-button (also the push button on the encoder), then you select

• volume
  • channel
  • mute
  • save

the choosen subject is shown inverted on the display. With "+" and "-" you can change the level.

Problem was the NEC-protocol for the remote control, but I found a application note on
mcselec.com with the right code.

regards Olaf

Last edited:
Hi Olaf,

Which one? DSP radio? or the earlier modulebus adapter?
The Elektor DSP radio - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement
Software is already written in Bascom-AVR for this module.

I am using Rohm BU9458, which reads MP3/WMA/ACC files from USB disk (jump/flash) drive and SD card.
USB audio codec, using TI PCM2902B, this functions as a sound card.
rick

Hi Rick,

I used only the module with the chip. It works googd with some software snippets published by elektor. But I made no other experiments.

regards Olaf

Attachments

• Si4735.jpg
    Si4735.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 301
I have now a working Arduino controlled PGA2320 pre-amp with relay input selection and balanced DRV134 output. All working with 16x2 text LCD showing source and bar graph volume. 2 push buttons for input +/- and 2 more for volume +/- and IR from existing CD remote (with dedicated amplifier buttons). At the moment it's all (temporarily) residing in a defunct CD player case.
Would like suggestions for linking it to power amplifiers which will be sited close to speakers and connected by balanced leads. I wish to implement a standby/activate signal from preamp to power amps. Only need a single core as digital and analogue grounds are connected. Seems a bit lame having to run a second cable alongside the balanced lead. I was thinking of using Maplin 2mm plugs as they couldn't be mistaken for any other purpose but this must be a common requirement and I wondered if there were any precedents as to what to use.

TPA3100 or TPA3116 or TPA3118
Check out the TPA3116 thread.
I designed a portable radio using si4735d60 a few years ago, using tpa3100 and max9729, now working on si4770a20 design. lots of code for ui, still going at it. I started with code from elektor article and its keeps growing.
enjoy!!

Last edited:
Very nice work Olaf!

I just try components for a preamp with PGA2320. Here are a few photos. Some Software-snippets are already running. I like the display. A dark amber-colored display behind golden-brown plexiglass.

regards Olaf

Olaf,

Can you tell what is the amber-colored display you are using and where did you get it from? Also, where did you get the golden-brown plexiglass?

I love the way it looks! :)

Thanks so much

Hi CoM,

the datasheet for the display I have attached. You can choose various combinations between display and background.
The plexi is gray (not brown) and translucent. It only appears brown by the display color. I bought it somewhere in ebay.

regards
Olaf

Attachments

• dogm128e.pdf
    762 KB · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.