What does the average DIYer listen to these days?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mostly listen to hip-hop, metal and punk, also some opera and orchestral music.

bands like:
hiphop:
Paleface(finnish band)
LoopTroop
RUN-D.M.C.
KWAN(finnish band)
MarkB&Blade
Tulenkantajat(finnish band)

metal:
Sentenced(finnish band)
Metallica
Iron Maiden
the 69 Eyes(finnish band)
To/Die/For(finnish band)
Stratovarius(finnish band)
HIM(finnish band)
Nightwish(finnish band)
Amorphis(finnish band)
Apocalyptica(finnish band)

Opera/Orchestral:
i don't have very deep knowledge to these genres, so i usuallu loan cd:s from library to listen and buy from redord shop what i like

Most DIYers in my country mostly do cheap-*** projects and mosly listen to cheap-*** music... IMHO... they dont think like - I can make good things by my self and enjoy, they think like Wow I can do it CHEAP!

I personally listen to Deep House, DnB at times. I like my sound good, so I DIY :D

P.S. I worked as DJ, I know that ppl here dont have good tastes in music... only the DJ's who try to present better music to them....

I've been listening to the latest CD from Norah Jones (feels like home). Does anybody else also feels that it's too bass heavy on a few tracks? It almost feels like the 40hz eq was set too high accidently during the recording session and nobody care to fix it before releasing the CD to the public.

I'm glad to see such a thread in a technical forum.

My musical preferences for now:
Judas Priest (all time fav band)
Peter Gabriel (all time fav artist)
Old (or the true) Genesis
Pink Floyd
Queensryche
Marillion
Some Dream Theater
Much old metal (don't hate me for that please)

Got recently into some electric jazz recently...

And mainly everything except classical music (maybe when I'll settle down and have kids...?)/dance/new rock

In no particular order:

Jazz/Fusion
Al DiMeola, Passport, Jean-Luc Ponty, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Stanley Clarke, Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham, Brand X, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs etc.

Progressive Rock
Gentle Giant, Genesis, Greenslade, King Crimson, Yes, Kansas, Camel, Happy The Man, Trace, Anglagard, Rush, Pink Floyd, Saga, Steve Hackett, Triumvirat, ELP, UK, Jethro Tull etc.

Bluegrass
Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Flatt & Scruggs etc.

Other
Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper (early stuff), Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top (old stuff first 3 or 4 albums), Frank Zappa, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Synergy etc.

List is really much bigger! I listen to a lot of stuff. :)
Don't like rap or New Country :whazzat: :rolleyes:

Wayne :drink:

Marillion

Haven't listened to Marillion in a long time (late 80's). Don't have any of their CD's (that's strange :boggled: ) but now since you've mentioned them I think I'll order myself some Marillion CD's! Thanks! ;)
Right now I'm in the process of ordering the Saga remasters. Most of them have a live bonus video track (CD-Extras) which is really nice! On "Worlds Apart" they kept the original track order and the intro to "Amnesia" from the Tom & Jerry cartoon!!
"It say here a sharp blow on the head is a sure cure for amnesia. And that what he's gonna get!" :nod:
Been following them since 1978. They have a unique sound, great vocal. Most people only know them by 2 tracks; "On The Loose" and "Wind Him Up". MTV. Shame. :(

Cheers
Wayne

Try Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws for the with fish era. There is also a great live recording floating around on the fileswap sites that was played live on the radio. Email me with your Email address and I'll try to find to on my computer and email it to in mp3. fish also did some good work on his own after leaving the band.
Same story on Marillion, only known for Kayliegh and breifly Comunicado but both albums are good cover to cover.

I go to my downtown HMV store. The industrial section is pretty big and you can listen before buying. I know Einstürzende Neubauten for a long time, have most of their albums, and I actually bought this latest one without even listening. Seems like one of their better recordings. Other German favourites of mine are Ramstein (but not everything), Die Form, Wolfsheim, Funker Vogt, Inscape, Dust of Basement, Wumpscut:.

Amazon.com has pretty nicely arranged comments and recommended lists section.

basically, anything from classical to gothic metal I enjoy.

to compare diy amps I use:

some tracks of a live CD from "Slagerij van Kampen" -a percussion only band-
one or two tracks of the CD Tracy Chapman -Tracy Chapman-
one or two tracks of the first CD from Tanita Tikaram.

and the intro of Hotel California as found on the CD 'Hell Freezes Over' from the Eagles

@Peter

Industrial/Ghotic, whatever it means these days is still giving me kicks from time to time, i need it ;)
Ramstein, Funker Vogt, Dust of Basement, Qntal, In strict Confidence...
I hate the voice of the Wolfsheim frontsinger btw.

But the music itself was born in the days of SPK wich is i think a Canadian group.

I will better have an eye on the music you listen beside your audio projects to get a hint what to try out :)

Edit:
A little tip when we are at it.

Eternal Mourning-Delusion & Dementia

Is from black metal to melodic something, but a masterpiece of a relatively unknown spanish band.

Wombat said:

I will better have an eye on the music you listen beside your audio projects to get a hint what to try out :)

For me Industrial/Goth is continuation of Punk I grew up on.

My absolute favourites these days are Apoptygma Berzerk, Covenat, VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Front 242 (the latest one is pretty good), Epsilon Minus( some tracks), Cruxshadows(highly recommended), Cobalt 60, Klinik, Birmingham 6, Muslimgauze and so on;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.