• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What does coupling mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mr Cynical says:

IMO The reason that balanced interconnects have never taken off seriously in HiFi is that they would no longer be able to sell outrageously priced connectors and leads.

Consider:
The music you cherish coming off a CD or LP, has already been through at least a dozen balanced interconnects in studio, probably nickel.

How would you rank the difference one more would make?
a) A lot
b) Some small effect
c) Sweet FA

I'm for c).

In studio, we don't look at the make of the cables. It's whether they are well made, and correctly wired.

Unbalanced interconnects, properly made, in a quiet environment are OK. But the coming of switch mode power supplies, dimmers, mobile phones, made that a thing of the past.
Why on earth should thick unbalanced cables sound (generally) better than thin ones? The reason in my book, is 2 fold.
1) Better screening against sh*t.
2) Better earth bonding between chassis, thus reducing sh*t.

You can buy bigger and better unbalanced interconnects each year. Or, you can use what the professionals use.

Oh alright :xeye: they're available in gold as well!;)
BUT THEY SOUND THE SAME:D

Rant over:) Back to normality:)
Now wheres my RCA/Cinch/Phono......I must have put it somewhere............:eek:

Insomnia does strange things.........:bigeyes:

On the isolation between digital and analog

So the idea I'm getting is a balanced phase splitter (Concertina) probably would not be that great when used in analog to analog applications but would be ideal for say inside a DAC?
On that side note, If that's true, would this type of phase splitter go before the digtal signal was converted to an analog signal?

I'd still like to hear what type of balanced output is ideal, which on kills all others?

David

Re: What do you mean Joel?

EternaLightWith said:
What I really want is your thoughts on what you would use. If going push-pull.

The standard RC-coupled "paraphase", uses two triodes. The grid resistor of the 1st triode has a tap which is tied directly to the grid of the 2nd tube. Usually, the point is determined by two fixed resistors, but I use a pot instead, and the wiper is tied to the grid, so I can move the pick-off point around. Look in the back of any RCA tube manual for an example of the (unmodified) circuit.

Something like this

Is this a picture of the circuit you are referring to Joel?

Attachments

• phase splitter.png
    phase splitter.png
    339 bytes · Views: 69
Coupling

Here is a 1949 article by Frank McIntosh and Gordon Gow in which:

“the first major change in years in amplifier coupling circuit principles is discussed, together with details of the components employed.”

http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Misc/Mac1949.pdf

Nothing new under the sun

I have a large collection of online articles/info with live links. Drop me an email if you would like a copy.

I sure am glad they dropped the "dimwit" member ranking from my name!

Cheers
Craig

Re: Question on your schematic

EternaLightWith said:
Is the performance of the circuit dependant on the mu of the tubes? Would the tubes have to be matched? Would an auto bias circuit work?

The tubes do not need to be matched. Tube "matching" is a marketing gimmick used by retailers. But the tubes should be of the same type.

They are cathode biased. Do you understand the schematic?

John, in all seriousness, there was nothing ridiculous about it. The triodes in the above circuit do not need to be "matched". They do need to be the same though - ie. both 6J5, or one 6SN7, 6C8, 6SC7, etc.

Matching implies there is no compensation mechanism built into the circuit. I never rely on tube condition to set the operating points of the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.