What do you use to replace burners in commercial projectors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the years I have seen many people strip their lamp housing and reflector and replace just the lamp burners. I think if I remember correctly YWH was one of the first to introduce this. Then we had the likes of Crazyfunguy who had the breakthrough of bypassing the commercial projector to power up without the lamp and using Automotive HID lamp.

I thought since this interest is ever growing, I'll start this thread where people can post what they use to fit their lamp burners to the reflectors. I know people are using various stuff from automotive exhaust firegum to High Temp RTV etc. Maybe this way we'll come to an agreement what is best for this purpose.

I'll start off. I use fire cement because it is not too runny and easy to apply. So far so good. Just concerned that if it does expand, it may crack the reflector. When it does, I'll let you lot know.

When I was stuck for fire cement when putting together a 'temporary' boiler flue, I grabbed a bucket of tile cement and used it to seal the joints. Guess what? That 'temporary' flue is still there 6 years later and the joints are still good.
The tile cement is whiter and a bit more liquid than fire cement, but sets just as well.
Just a thought. If I get around to replacing the guts of the lamp on my Mitsubishi SA51U, I'll try the tile cement first.

I think tile adhesive will crack at this sort of temp. I don't mean the the reflector will crack, I mean the adhesive will crack. If anyones tried tile adhesive, please post and let us know the outcome.

Heat Resistant Plaster is either too expensive or hard to find. What do the manufacturers or relampers use? Has anyone tried plaster of paris?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.