What Do You Think of U2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with Pedja -post # 13- : u2 becomes a really interesting rock band from ¨The Unforgettable Fire¨up.
Brian Eno is a great rock provocateur, I think.
Daniel Lanois... I think is a very talented songwriter an producer: Has anyone heard some of his solo work? : ¨Acadie¨ and ¨The Beauty of Wynona¨ -not Ryder- are just fantastic records...
I have recomended Lanois albums a lot here en Argentina. Aural Delicatessen.

I like a lot U2 records, except for -sometimes- the sound quality of some of the tracks. But I think is not ¨sound quality¨ the issue here. In 1993, Audio Magazine published an excellent interview with Brian Eno in which a lot was said about the distortions, effects, textures,recording philosophy, etc of U2 records, and it´s connection with Hi Fi: the final word was something like ...¨high end audio equipment is a very useful thing, because you can hear the distortion and effects better¨. Cool.

I believe that U2 broke down the eigthies cliché of pseudo new romantic hairdos singing in falsetto, or the regular MTV pop song standard plenty of synclaviers and electronic drumming. That was a good thing. And then, they became a very popular rock band with good songs and a somehow studied atittude: the sort of thing that generates ¨love them or hate them¨postures.
But I´m very grateful for the music that they crafted. And it became the soundtrack of interesting moments of my life.

U2 is one of my favourite bands of the 80s.....

I think I have THIER BEST CONCERT EVER on VHS: Under a blood red sky -- Done June 5th 1983 in Denver!!!!!!!!

It was freezing cold that day and they were OUTSIDE!! -- Im amazed the concert was so good in those conditions!!!!! (They almost cancelled the show)

Personally, U2 bores me to death.....probably with some exception, most of their songs have the same backbeat, guitar sound.....I dont think they are very good at playing their instruments..and so it shows as a limit to what they can compose.

Just my humble opinion...

+2
before it got old hat i liked some of their lp's

but to each his own. music is suposed to move you. if U2 moves you, spin as much as you can and enjoy.

I don't mind bands being a bit preachy at times but at least they should stick to what they preach about.
During the time artistic income was not taxed in Ireland U2 always went on about how immoral people/bands use tax havens and such but the moment they had to pay income tax in Ireland suddenly all their business went through a letter-box holding company in the Netherlands.

Practice what you preach or you are more of an a**hole than those who avoid tax without being preachy.

davym said:
Are they making a comeback?
I dunno but I just watched that concert again earlier....... MAN OH MAN DO I LOVE IT!! (Especially the song around 37 mins (But the whole thing kicks))

I wonder though WHY THEY KEPT SAYING "GOOD NIGHT" AT THE END OF EVERY SONG?? (After the first time it might have been a shock to have them quit so soon but after the 5th time its stupid :D)

I really loved Rattle and Hum when it came out (but then again, I liked Guns-n-Roses too...barf). These days, I don't care at all for U2.

I appreciate a quality melody and complex key changes (e.g. jazz), not just a riff or catchy rhythm. (Same thing for art ya know? God is in the details as they say) U2 music is kinda boring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.