what do you think of this schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you Pinkmouse. I was beginning to think that it is impossible to say anything here that doesn't follow the philosophy of "MOSFETs are good and bipolars are bad full stop" without copping personal abuse!

Millwood, it has only become a fruitless discussion because you chose to launch a personal attack on my comments (and I really don't understand what your problem is - could it be that I'm not from the US?) instead of offering your own opinions and contributing to the discussion.:mad:

Please don't take my remarks personally and realise that I only want to discuss this interesting subject openly. There are no such things as facts on a forum and whether or not somebody actually writes "IMO" you should realise that everything they say here is their opinion. When somebody says "this is fact" it is an immediate indication to be suspicious of their comments! ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
owdeo said:
Thank you Pinkmouse. I was beginning to think that it is impossible to say anything here that doesn't follow the philosophy of "MOSFETs are good and bipolars are bad full stop" without copping personal abuse!

that's your perception, and that is entirely wrong. There are just as many sucky MOSFET amps out there as sucky BJT amps.

Now you know where I stand on that.

owdeo said:
Millwood, it has only become a fruitless discussion because you chose to launch a personal attack on my comments

and I would love to know what you would consider "personal attacks" on my part. Make your allegations specific. in my book, acusing others of personal attacks without being able to back it up itself is personal attack.

owdeo said:
(and I really don't understand what your problem is - could it be that I'm not from the US?) instead of offering your own opinions and contributing to the discussion.:mad:

Why don't you just ask me before you ***-u-me?

I have stated many times, your inability to substantiate your views and presenting your views/ presumptions / conjectures as facts is what doesn't sit well with me.

owdeo said:
Please don't take my remarks personally and realise that I only want to discuss this interesting subject openly.

if you do, go back read my questions to you and answer them with facts and number. I can care less about your opinions but I do appreciate fact-based reasoning - assuming that Mr. Pass compared BJTs to varistors isn't going to be helpful.

owdeo said:
There are no such things as facts on a forum

so we should just discounted all you said as non-factual?

But I have picked up many useful pieces of information from other posters on this forum and I am not sure if it sits well with them if you call their posts as non-facts.

Anybody have any more info about this (aem6000)?

Hi,

My first post, we'll see if it works...:)

Is owdeo, PMM or anybody else who has any info about the aem6000 still in the house? Do you have the original AEM articles for this amp?

I too have been interested in this amp and would like to design a PCB for it, but with better / more modern components (and perhaps better layout from what I've heard, although I never saw the original).

Also there is one detail I can't quite decipher (or maybe my analysis is off): in the second stage diff pair current sources, there's what looks like 1.5V across 150R, or 10mA; but if you look at the tails, there's what looks like 1.9V across 680R, or 2.8mA; the tails look to be balanced, but the numbers don't add up.:confused:

Anyway, please fire me an email if you can help me out ( piertr_at_remove-this_hotmail.com ). Thanks!

Fet vs bipolar

Hi guis, distortion which is produced by "classical" fet circuity can be elegant reduced by "error correction" designed by Malcolm Hawksford and Robert Cordell - practical aplication of this circuit you can see on patent of amplifier Halcro. I am using it too with best results in my amplifiers.

The schematics and AEM article I should still have somewhere and I even have one of the old boards I think. There where actually 2 versions of this amp, the original used a form of T construction with a little daugther card sticking out at 90 degrees with the output mosfets on them. The version I built ( the second version) used a flat board construction with the mosfets at one end of the board.

The layout looked very good and everything was neatly arranged but some of the high gain traces seemed to snake across half the board and this I think was the reason for the instability. All of the TO126 style transistors where up near the output mosfets and bolted to the same heatsink.

whitetrash said:
The schematics and AEM article I should still have somewhere and I even have one of the old boards I think. There where actually 2 versions of this amp, the original used a form of T construction with a little daugther card sticking out at 90 degrees with the output mosfets on them. The version I built ( the second version) used a flat board construction with the mosfets at one end of the board.

The layout looked very good and everything was neatly arranged but some of the high gain traces seemed to snake across half the board and this I think was the reason for the instability. All of the TO126 style transistors where up near the output mosfets and bolted to the same heatsink.

Whitetrash I realise this is an old thread but do you by any chance still have the schematics and original article.

I have A Jaycar version of this amp and it is still one of the best amps I have tried on my system. But I have lost the original AEM article and Schematics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.