What do you like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, that's not the speaker he was referring to. But I believe the one he was talking about was a BLH. I just wanted to show him what I think is the most beautiful speaker ever made. It made an appearance at RMAF about 5 years ago and was met with favorable reviews.
Instead of stuffing behind the driver, the mdf is convoluted for diffusion. But yeah, stuffing would be needed i'm sure :p

I messed up a bit, which is typical for me. How do you edit a old message you posted? Anyway the Paul Norton horn I said uses a Peerless speaker. Wrong. It was a Jordan JX92S. So here is a picture of the BLH horn Sells for about $160. Claims it has the widest bandwidth of any single drive speaker,9 octaves. . What do you think for that puppy for my shop?

Yuk, the picture of the speaker posted by Mello is of interest but the insides remind me of a horse I saw being operated on. That was surreal. The vet when she got though working on his intestines simply stuffed them back in in a very scrambled way. She figured let God sort em out. Sewed the horse up, he stood up and walked off none for the worse. :eek:

Anyway beautiful and a very nice finish. The speaker not the horse that is.

Attachments

• norton horn.jpg
    norton horn.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hahaha! That's disgusting Sus!
I thought it looks like an ear. Maybe I need to spend more time at the dude ranch :D

Yes, that's the speaker I thought you were talking about. It's a BLH (the type you thought was not ready for prime time) ;)

You will not get enough amplitude with a BLH for your space in my opinion. Maybe you could build a conru out of a Betsy! That would work. Just make sure you have 20ft of wall space for the two speakers. Oter than that, the Emken or a line array would be best.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Glowglass made a huge rectangular asymmetric six channel Cornu for his 12 in driver and he says it sounds great. Goes down to 20 hz. The Betsy would work in Glowglass' design. The jx92s would be interesting in a Cornu. I think the Mark Audio Alpair 7 also claims something similar at half the price.

electro aucoustic - My Photo Gallery

333023d1361994323-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-propped-boxes-test.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That was surreal. The vet when she got though working on his intestines simply stuffed them back in in a very scrambled way. She figured let God sort em out. Sewed the horse up, he stood up and walked off none for the worse. :eek:

Anyway beautiful and a very nice finish. The speaker not the horse that is.

Surgeons do the same with people - toss the entrails back in haphazardly. :p

Glowglass made a huge rectangular asymmetric six channel Cornu for his 12 in driver and he says it sounds great. Goes down to 20 hz. The Betsy would work in Glowglass' design. The jx92s would be interesting in a Cornu. I think the Mark Audio Alpair 7 also claims something similar at half the price.

electro aucoustic - My Photo Gallery

333023d1361994323-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-propped-boxes-test.jpg

Wow, I thought it would need to be bigger for that driver???

First thing I thought of was the Cornu when I saw a pic of Norton's speaker. That of course is a BLH. I have to do a lot more of very confusing reading before continuing.

The spiral Nautilus uses 4 drivers with cross overs. There is enough to worry about with out having to fight the cross over design. Has nay one ever looked at electronic noise cancellation like Bose uses on head phones? I gone though 2 sets of these things and like them in my shop. However they are very fragile and expensive so I have returned to passive hearing protectors. Bose engineering does not have a decent ME is my opinion.

The programs for building speakers also has me confused. I reads that they treat air as incompressible in the formulas. Really?

What is the effect of sound in a large room like my shop ? Not to sure this is a problem if I'm in a zone of 20 or so feet from the speakers. My present AR's give me all the volume I can stand in my work area. My amp has individual pots for volume control. I can steer the sound to fit my location if I want to. At least it sounds ok for me. I am not golden.

Another question is if a speaker is rated at lets say 100 watts RMS, not to sure what a music rating is, does the sound quality vary much between 50 watts +- what ever for a typical BLH enclosure?

Lots of stuff to do in Audio. I think I will shut up for a while.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
First thing I thought of was the Cornu when I saw a pic of Norton's speaker. That of course is a BLH.

Cornu is in fact, a BLH with multiple radially aligned mouths.

The spiral Nautilus uses 4 drivers with cross overs. There is enough to worry about with out having to fight the cross over design.

Nautilus uses the spiral as a semin infinite tube to prevent back relections - it is not a transmission line with bass output at the terminus of the spiral.

Has nay one ever looked at electronic noise cancellation like Bose uses on head phones? I gone though 2 sets of these things and like them in my shop. However they are very fragile and expensive so I have returned to passive hearing protectors. Bose engineering does not have a decent ME is my opinion.

I use in-ear monitors with a good foam tip seal to achieve 33 dB isolation. Balanced armature drivers (bass + tweeter) are a good way to go. I have the Aurvana's which ahve 10 Hz -17 kHz response with 114 dB/mW sensitivity.

The programs for building speakers also has me confused. I reads that they treat air as incompressible in the formulas. Really?

Most fluid dynamics except for supersonic flows use incompressible assumption which is very good assumption when Mach number is < 0.1. Which is one reason you want to keep Mach number in vent port low.

What is the effect of sound in a large room like my shop ? Not to sure this is a problem if I'm in a zone of 20 or so feet from the speakers. My present AR's give me all the volume I can stand in my work area. My amp has individual pots for volume control. I can steer the sound to fit my location if I want to. At least it sounds ok for me. I am not golden.

My point earlier - are you trying to fill entire shop with even sound like an arean? If so line arrays are way to go.

Another question is if a speaker is rated at lets say 100 watts RMS, not to sure what a music rating is, does the sound quality vary much between 50 watts +- what ever for a typical BLH enclosure?

Lots of stuff to do in Audio. I think I will shut up for a while.[/QUOTE]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.