What causes listening "fatigue"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I meant it was not clear to me that you were using it in it's recognized psychological context. I still don't think you are using it quite correctly but I'm not a psychologist, I understand what you're driving at.

The recognised psychological context is human existence in a situation of perception or held beliefs which are incompatible. An example maybe when a salesman is telling you how good a product is, whilst deep down in your subconscious mind it feels very wrong, the instinct dissonant with the spoken word.

In listening we are consciously analysing a sound, and 'OKing' it to our criteria, but often in an inattentive state we hear things not heard previously, and which counter that assessment. The two are contradictory/incompatible, hence the cognitive dissonance.

That is interesting because that’s exactly how I voiced my last setup.....whole song averaging @ lp then tweaking to smooth what ended up being a declining fr (see pic)

Had no idea it was a thing (except being told it was wrong) so it is very interesting to me! :cool:

Attachments

• D46D247D-5A24-447E-9681-B427A8A311E9.jpg
    D46D247D-5A24-447E-9681-B427A8A311E9.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Yeah, gotta try it out as well! If a speaker sound differs too much from everyday soundscape it will sound annoying after period of time. Makes sense! :) Distortion and limiting to max (music material quality) would also show up as piled up peaks, possibly.

Actually would be fun to measure the listening (living)room like this as well, record during daily activities, speakers off. Then measure and tune the speakers and ponder whats the relation between just room and the tuned speakers, if any :)

Last edited:
There is "fatigue" from the musical source

How many of you agree, that the electronically generated music like (synthesiser and others) generate listening fatigue to brain. after some time even at moderate volume, you feel like its enough.

I believe any natural instruments follow the rule of nature like first harmonics , second and so on. Even when the two frequencies intermodulation, they follow natural harmonics. which makes experience no or less fatigue. because our brain is designed to process it well.

Please discuss.

Interesting thoughts from experienced live sound engineer Dave Rat Energy Exposure as it relates to Mixing Sound - YouTube

Not very scientific, but still deeper than I'd ever come up with :D Its about energy exposure he says.

No, not very scientific.

Pity Dave Rat never read any psychology textbook. If he had, he would have deleted 90% of his video. Maybe 10% isn't errant nonsense.

Summary: play games with your mix until your real-time analysis shows not too much treble. (OK, that might just be a helpful rule of thumb for folks producing recordings for ear buds.)

BTW, silly to talk about "flat" when you only mean the power into a mic is the same as the power out of a speaker. Even a kunstkopf doesn't hear like a human, let alone a mic or bunch of mics mixed by hard of hearing engineers.

B.

Last edited:
Ben, yeah listening is very subjective. To achieve better sound almost the only thing one can do is to experiment and choose the best way out of the options available. Certainly doesn't rule out that there was something even better existing :) It is part of learning process to try things out, striving to choose wisely and then later on be ready to change the opinion if gained experience has taught otherwise. Anyway, I think that balance of the highs and lows is important. Imbalance will cause fatigue, be it the music or the playback system, and what ever the preference is to each one of us.

There is currently, (with the increase in feminine power), much screeching done by radio announcers, and it is readily identifiable as coming out of the tweeters.
I already didn't like you, but now I know you're someone both completely full of themselves as well as belonging to the previous century.

To keep it more on topic: Pharos causes listening fatigue.

I hope that you guys realize that you are talking about two different things simultaneously. There is "fatigue" from the musical source and there is "fatigue" from the playback system. The two things are completely different and shouldn't be mixed together.

I only care about "fatigue" from the playback since I'll select the music source that I don't find fatiguing. Source choice is a personal matter, playback fatigue is a design issue.

Hello Earl

That's a really good point. If it's in the source material the "fatigue" comes through on any system. There is just no getting away from it. I have done double takes by listening on a different stereo system to confirm what I was hearing on more than one occasion.

Recording quality really is all over the block even from track to track on the same CD so choosing music you are very familiar with certainly make sense. To be wondering if it's the source or the system isn't very helpful trying to work out if you like or want to purchase a pair of speakers.

Rob:)

I already didn't like you, but now I know you're someone both completely full of themselves as well as belonging to the previous century.

To keep it more on topic: Pharos causes listening fatigue.

I can live with being disliked, often whole groups of people dislike an individual, and often so on an inaccurate basis, but I ask for reasoned arguments to be expressed rather than acrimonious attacks which feel like trolling.

Please cite examples of my supposed egotism.

Last edited:
If this is a response to what I have posted please present your analysis and reasoning.

How about the irrefutable philosophical and scientific proposition, "This is 2020 not 1650"?

Joking aside, anyone should be aware of the "distortion" in - for example - medical research when women and various minority groups are poorly represented. Perhaps we might ask how the mostly male* membership here is a shortcoming?

B.
* in light of this turn of the thread, I have to say "male" because not all posters are acting like adult "men".

Last edited:
How many of you agree, that the electronically generated music like (synthesiser and others) generate listening fatigue to brain. after some time even at moderate volume, you feel like its enough.

I believe any natural instruments follow the rule of nature like first harmonics , second and so on. Even when the two frequencies intermodulation, they follow natural harmonics. which makes experience no or less fatigue. because our brain is designed to process it well.

Please discuss.

Not my experience. Again it's the recording, the room and the speakers - and then ofcourse the mood we're in. Cause sometimes I dont care how wonderful a violin is... I just really dont wanna listen to it :D

I would agree, that maybe in a controlled setup, where we only tested the difference of instruments.... then maybe... there would be a difference. But again, that would be to just make a point and not a daily practical issue. The reason I believe and say so. Is because I think there are problems with all kinds of music reproductions.

So it's usualy a good idea to just keep the worst issues at a low level. If someone like to put the microphone inside the piano... to make it "intimate sounding". Then my guess is, that it will sound annoying not mater what you do afterwards :D

I would prefer to see a label, showing a bit of info on how they recorded the music. Rather than some mostly irrelevant info about bits and kHz.
My system measures pretty much flat, with a small waveguide, metal, ceramics, and alu drivers - and multiple subs. When I listen to something well recorded on - lets say youtube - like a talk between to persons. Then it sounds nice and pleasant - with no apparent listening fatigue - same goes for music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.