What causes listening "fatigue"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just-so Stories and Special Pleading Cause Almost Everythin...W?cs list."fatigue"?

Just-so Stories and Special Pleading Cause Almost Everything So ....

Just-so Stories
Just-so story - Wikipedia

In science and philosophy, a just-so story is an untestable narrative explanation for a cultural practice, a biological trait, or behavior of humans or other animals. The pejorative[1] nature of the expression is an implicit criticism that reminds the listener of the essentially fictional and unprovable nature of such an explanation. Such tales are common in folklore and mythology (where they are known as etiological myths—see etiology).

This phrase is a reference to Rudyard Kipling's 1902 Just So Stories, containing fictional and deliberately fanciful tales for children

........................................................................................................

Special Pleading

Special pleading - Wikipedia

Special pleading is an informal fallacy wherein one cites something as an exception to a general or universal principle (without justifying the special exception).[1][2][3][4][5] This is the application of a double standard.[6][7]

In the classic distinction among material fallacies, cognitive fallacies, and formal fallacies, special pleading most likely falls within

:treasure:
:checked:
:dodgy:
:wchair:
:cubist:
:Ouch:
:bfold:
:snare:
:beady:
:firefite:

Have some drawed the spl curve they like the most at listening position - say from 40 hz to 20 k hz- ?

I did some years ago.

I liked it best when it was pretty much flat ie as close to a straight horizontal line as the drivers allowed.

YMMV

As for the importance I give to distortion I did the Klippel test a few times and just picked the version which sounded less annoying. That worked until I reached 0.5% at which point I couldn't hear anything annoying anymore.

Again Your Mileage May Vary

Have some drawed the spl curve they like the most at listening position - say from 40 hz to 20 k hz- ?

I like it to start dropping @2k

This is @ lp (about 9’ center stage)

One song average, I think the abrupt drop @ 10k is just lack of source material.

I find @ higher volumes this drop from 2k helps tremendously with listener fatigue......I could not listen very long at all if it were flat.

Edit.... and yes I know that’s too loud but it was during testing and it also relates to my normal listening levels of mid 90’s @lp.

Attachments

• 2A4DC920-9E12-4983-8333-34929203A005.jpg
    2A4DC920-9E12-4983-8333-34929203A005.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Straight doesn't work for me at 3 m listening position.

I need also some dropping after 1000 hz...circa ! The 2k to 7k is messing me when as straight as the mid ! I am not against a raise after 10k ! (my room is very damped with carpets and furnistures and plain oak parquet... A sligty dive in th e3k-4k is also liked but related to the global equilibriu of the speaker in room ! Purely subjective... an opinion (related to myself) as said Eearl G.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
.... One of my loudspeakers with alum drivers in mid/tweet are not so far from the iso 2969 (X) curve and it has both the details and no listening fatigue while bells are here and acurate (which drive us towards 6 to 8 k hz for some)... always was a mystery for me as it's almost -10 db fromm the mids, hey !:rolleyes:... no listening fatigue and my ref for classical music. While not sure an ESL is very acurate in the high end due for the most to a single planar.... - i don't talk about segmented or special planars that are not esl and have wonderfull ribbons as some high end Maggies !

Last edited:
Are there any non-segmented ESLs
ESLs are cells and sometimes there are gradients across a cell. And sometimes an ESL speaker will have a bunch of cells in order to address freq band, directional/beaming issues, max loudness, etc.

Dayton-Wright ESL cells of all vintages handle nearly the full range and D-W speakers of some vintages the whole range without internal XO down to about 50 Hz.

Speaking for myself and possibly most ESL enthusiasts, we sometimes find it hard to take seriously some opinions on audio quality from people who use cone drivers. And let me add, every ESL enthusiast has heard lots of cone speakers but how many cone users have spent quality time with ESLs?

Last edited:
So rare to hear much acknowledgement of human perception in these discussions.

In particular, the "burnt soup principle"* where perceptual judgements are dramatically stamped by what people have been exposed to in recent preceding times.

Many times I've visited friends living in awful "modern" hard-surfaced homes with hideous reverberation and they want to show-off their audio. Ditto for folks who boast about their local concert hall. Hint: that reverb may not be detectable in a real flat FR.

B.
* like telling your spouse ".... your soup tastes delicious, burnt just like my mother always did...."

Last edited:
What means "listening fatigue"

I tried to find the origin of "listening fatigue".

This is the earliest example I found:
We say that if a system (which might cost up to a hundred pounds or more) gives listening fatigue and headache, then it is at fault.
Source:
Music on the move
Tape Recording Magazine
London, UK.
July 1970
Vol. 14, No. 7
p. 227

While that was a news article in a magazine, next example is purely an advertisement.

A mid-range that seduces you with its smoothness. And an overall sound quality that finally puts an end to listening fatigue.

Source:
The new KLH Thirty-Two is the best speaker you can buy for the money.
Stereo Review
Philadelphia, PA.
March 1971
Vol. 26, No. 3
p. 29

Neither of those explained what listening fatigue might be.

C.1.6 listening fatigue: Subjective sensation of annoyance and tiring that develops gradually after a long period of continuous listening. You want to turn it off. This effect may be due to spectral peaks, unstable imaging, or a number of other problems, alone or in combination. Listening fatigue is to be distinguished from immediate dislike of a sound system on first hearing. Listening fatigue due to the loudspeaker must also be differentiated from listening fatigue caused by the source material. A good loudspeaker system playing good recordings at a natural loudness will not cause fatigue for many hours, or ever.

Source:
AES20-1996
AES recommended practice for professional audio — Subjective evaluation of loudspeakers
1996 Audio Engineering Society
p. 18

Now that looks like a definition. I did not find any better.

Speaking for myself and possibly most ESL enthusiasts, we sometimes find it hard to take seriously some opinions on audio quality from people who use cone drivers. And let me add, every ESL enthusiast has heard lots of cone speakers but how many cone users have spent quality time with ESLs?

Shared a flat with a guy and his QUAD ESLs.

I found them excellent if used within their limitations but unfortunately my prefered music is well beyond those.

You’ll should test your ears with a tone test and see if you have frequencies that are irritating - I know that past abuse has left me with hyperacussis in the treble range and I can hear it with live instruments too which means even a perfect reproducing chain won’t eliminate it. Lower volumes do help, as has been pointed out. It’s not too bad for me unless I have a drive unit with cone resonance at the wrong places (e.g. Fostex FE127) and I have not noticed it getting worse with age but if that does happen I suspect a couple of notch filters in the preamp would fix things nicely.

I think there maybe frequencies which many of us are overly sensitive to, perhaps related to the shape of our ears. The attached was something I grabbed from somewhere in the ‘net about the best subjective FR based on human trials.

Attachments

• 79427759-0E17-4716-9AB3-69AE16DE1861.png
    79427759-0E17-4716-9AB3-69AE16DE1861.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Our brain is constantly procassing the audio signal.

When you talk to a friend and walk from free space into a tunnel or church, his voice sounds the same, when a mike records it you cannot even recognize the voice.
The cocktail party effect is another example.
Cocktail party effect - Wikipedia

All disturbing noises are filtered out, the more filtering the more fatigue.

Room reflections are expected when we have seen the room, but they have to sound natural with normal spectral content. When they are muffled the brain cannot use them to create a 3-dimensional listening experience which is wonderful and relaxing.

My Pupazzo speakers with Manger Transducer in the blue sphere
Now the opposite happens, you cannot stop listening.

Attachments

• apri 050.jpg
    apri 050.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
So rare to hear much acknowledgement of human perception in these discussions.

In particular, the "burnt soup principle"* where perceptual ...

Yer over thinkin' it.

"Don't attribute to malevolence; what you mis-perceive as incompetence ... " or something like that ...

;)
:geezer:
:hypno2:

The problem with perception is always datalimiting; re: the nervous system's data can only take it so far [DEEP logical prob.; not bad data/theory] and so it has to ... to ..., ,... guess.

For example, our stereoscopic vision tricks us into thinking we see a 3 dimensional world ... but we don't. It does a bunch of math and logic on the 2d data from the 2 eyes and ... creates our experienced, 3d world.

Dude, just google it ...

:D

Oh and we're narrative based creatures, because of our evolved language instinct and our canconcurrent development of our linguistic, day-to-day, neighbourhood, city, social, political, ..., , ... "worlds".

...so every audio gadget needs a good story ...

:sly:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.