what causes a transformer to buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ZX3Chris,

Transformers have many windings wrapped around a metal or ferrite core. During manufacturing these windings are dipped in varnish or a similiar material to stop the individual windings from buzzing/humming/ringing.

It is possible that the varnish like material is breaking down on the windings, a shorted transformer is likely in your future.

Thanks

KevinLee

Safety

If this is a sealed wall-wart type, and if it did not buzz before, I suggest checking for overheating before attempting any kind of fix. In other words, it could be buzzing because heat may have broken down the basic construction of the transformer, and you could be running a chance of a fire, small as it is. (wall-supplies are cheaper to replace than houses).

The three reasons I can think of for a transformer to emit noise:

1) Loose windings vibrating
2) Core delamination, causing laminations to vibrate together
3) Magnetostriction in the core (the metal of the core deforming under the magnetic forces)

But seriously folks........

The core laminations are usually what buzzes as they are thin sheets of steel usually held together by varnish. I have seen the bobbin the windings are on, buzz if not attached to the core very well. The buzzing is usually worse when the line voltage is high or DC or low frequency garbage is on the line. I would replace it if it was bugging me. Wall warts are cheap and a bitch to open up without damaging the transformer or blades that go in the socket.

Transformer theory for poets*

http://www.federalpacific.com/university/transnoise/chapter1.html

* What we techno-nerds call college science courses for non science majors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.