What can i do with this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
....ive never used a resistor bank to test output under load- always connected and playing into subwoofers....

......'''tell you guys what, next time im at my best freinds house i'll hook up a DVOM and take a vid of the thing putting out 1000w under real world load and post it to youtube.
Don't bother, because unless you do use a purely resistive load, you won't be measuring power, whether "engineers" suggest it or not. Speakers are highly reactive loads to audio, not like resistance. The DVOM is cheap, convenient and gives a relative indication of power by measuring voltage but only comparable on the same system with the same steady signal source - that's all. :eek:
Audio power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I would certainly agree that there are larger amplifiers out there than genuine 1kW RMS. I have even seen two; 2kW and 4kW on bench tests driven with a massive 3-phase power supply. Yes, one bridged system survived it's test, the other went back to it's supplier as it failed at only 40% rated power - new! It's obvious from the maths though, that standard autos, cars and small trucks even, just can't generate enough current to supply them at rated full power below highway speeds.

Bigger alternators just compound the problems for driving and maintenance.

Agree and add: out of curiosity, I googled "Phoenix Gold The one", the mythical 12KW RMS power amp .... and almost fell from my chair ROFL :yikes:

**This** can **NOT** put out 12KW RMS, class D or otherwise!! :eek:

The%20One.jpg

To begin with, it's *passive* cooled !!! :eek:

The puny CPU cooler fan they show, can at best move a little air inside the chassis, no air flow at all in the external heatsinks.
That alone disqualifies it and qualifiers its designers as jokers.
Or Con Men, there's no other word.

This can only impress gullible car owners with as much Tech savvy as my Mother (with due respect, Mom :) )

Anybody who had even the slightest contact with the Pro Sound world *knows* what sizes and weights (and wiring) are needed for any "Big Gun" , meaning from, say, 1500W up.

And that, powered from 120/240 VAC lines !!!!

Out of a 12V car battery? :yikes:

The answer is :no: :nownow:

Where does all this nonsense come from?

Well, the answer is clear in the Phoenix Gold page itself:
Amplifiers | Phoenix Gold

They show 5 "regular" amp lines, very conventional, which probably are as well made and share similar specs as any other commercial amp ... plus "The One", which is NOT in regular production (it's custom made on order) , claims impossible specs which usually won't be put to test by anybody, simply because of unavailability.

And if some Saudi "Oil Prince" or a Colombian Drug Lord wants one for his hand built gold plated car ... so be it.

Money is no object and *they* definitely won't be "Techs" anyway.

They'll simply trust their friendly Car Audio Installer (who will be very happy with his cut to complain).

But the real money Phoenix Gold makes, of course, comes from the zillions who buy the "regular" ones at inflated prices, just because the "Best in the World" shares the same "brand".

'Nuff said.

EDIT: I simply could not avoid posting *this*: Phoenix Gold *does* post a "power test" they run, which should shut off "naysayers" such as us:
Kings Audio/Celsus UK Lexus

The guys at Kings Auto Centre have - quite literally - blown the roof off a Lexus IS200 Sport. Once the roof was off, says Kings' Billy Rajat, "there was no going back."
I wonder whether that was an IHF , AES , RMS or PMPO roof ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.