What are you Watching?

What does Last of the Mohicans have to do with Canada?

Certainly a controversial book to bring up in these times. The major difference between the book and the TV and movie adaptations is literally how the racist they were; whether they portray Native Americans as "noble savages" as in the book, or more deeply as in the movie.

Huh! :D

The Last of the Mohicans - Wikipedia

It's set in 1757 during what we Brits call the French-Indian Wars in North America.

But written in about 1820 IIRC.

My recall is that Magua, a Huron is the bad guy. Chingachook the wise old owl of the Mohicans. Ghingachook has his two boys Uncas and adopted Hawkeye.

I didn't quite understand why Magua had a hairstyle that we call "a Mohican" these days. But whatever. Colonel Munro's daughter, the lovely Cora meets a very grisly end. Uncas and Magua have a scrap. Both die. Leaving Chingachook: "The Last of the Mohicans".

Anyhow. "it depends where you sit, how you stand"

I shall examine the book and film over the next few days to determine if it is racist. I just thought it was a ripping yarn. :cool:

Attachments

• Last of the Mohicans.JPG
    Last of the Mohicans.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 271
Mohawk don't screw around...

Ugh....positive stereotype is an oxymoron.

There actually is a non-documentary movie, it was a TV miniseries.

Hollywood and facts don't mix well. When I watch a non-fiction movie, first thing I do when it's over is go Google what actually happened. I've written the story before where I was watching Argo and naively thought "oh look, the US had a rescue operation in parallel with the Canadian one..." hahaha

You aren't helping me out a great deal here, folks... :D

The charge is that the "Last of the Mohicans" is a racist book. We shall see.

842735d1589123914-universe-expanding-clouseau-png

Hollywood is simple enough, IMO. The good guys wear white hats. The bad guys wear black hats. So we know what is going on. :cool:

The Man who Shot Liberty Valance.

There are more nuanced movies, like Paris, Texas where the protagonist (Harry Dean) wears an old red baseball cap.

It's all about heroes and villains in drama. And the common herd of people. Want to expand that theme?

Dig a hole
Fill it up

Is that the old Zen thing?

Keynesian Economics during the Great Depression? You know, everybody sitting with their head in their hands for years...

Or the TV Cop show "Life" episode "Dig a Hole".
YouTube

There are some funny lines in that one:

Dani Reese: (reading the stiff's T-shirt with upward pointing arrow: "I'm with stupid.") Isn't the arrow supposed to point at the person next to you?

Charlie Crews: I guess he was admitting the truth.

Dani Reese: That he was stupid?

Charlie Crews: That no one knows anything.

Dani Reese: I know he's dead.

Charlie Crews: That's not the truth, that's just a fact.

Dani Reese: So everyone going to that Zen center was just completely screwed up. Right?

Charlie Crews: People go there seeking peace. People seek what they don't have. Only troubled people seek peace.

I can dig it. :cool:

BTW, Stiff is simply the jaded Cop's way of referring to the sadly deceased. It's a genre thing. :eek:

Well, I did promise I'd investigate allegations of Racism about "The Last of the Mohicans". :)

857280d1593686956-watching-mohicans-jpg

I read the original book about a year ago. An improbable but entertaining yarn set in 1757. French, English, Hurons, Mohicans, Delawares and whoever the Mohawks are.

The movie was utterly terrifying. TBH, I got a bit confused whether Hawkeye gets off with Cora, or Uncas left it unrequited. In the film Alice jumps off the cliff. In the book Cora gets stabbed.

In the book, bad boy Magua only has two Huron warriors with him. In the film he has a whole war party.

The film makes it clear that Magua is a very bitter and damaged individual. Does it make him sympathetic?

No. IMO, Chingachook gives him what he deserves. A surprisingly Scottish film IMO. Any plot holes just have to be left unresolved. But no racism whatsoever. :cool:

English was never my strength. I didn't grow up in England. But, IIRC, my wise old English teacher told us that you should at least have an opinion why you liked something or you didn't like it.

Idiocracy.

AFAIK, scientifically speaking, kids of dumb people grow up to be statistically as bright as kids of smart people. How it is. Jokes about stupidity abound. From "Dilbert" to "Ugg the Caveman".

Just that dumb people let their Health go with too many Cheeseburgers and Sodas. So rarely collect their Pension. Which is good for me.

I think it's called "Schadenfreude". What is bad for you, is good for me. You know, "Dog eats Dog". :cool:

OMG, I have become a Cynic. :eek:

Last edited: