What are you drinking?

Searched a bit the internet, more exactly the barrel staves aren't glued it seems, but the lid may be sealed with a wheat paste.
Also just learned the fining agent used to clarifying wine can also be gluten based, the whole food and beverage industry is so opaque regarding gluten makes one wonder if there's a hidden hand behind it, only in EU the annual gluten cereal production reaches several hundreds of billions worth of € so wouldn't be surprised if at least there's some heavy lobbying going on.
There are many sources on the net mentioning gluten use with barrels but I will leave this one link below, it should suffice.

The Everything Guide to Living Gluten-Free: The Ultimate Cooking, Diet, and ... - Jeanine Friesen - Google Books

My usual lately (and I'm definitely not a drinking man!) Has been hot black tea (Romanov tea blackcurrant blend :) ) with a shot of Slivovitz (serb plum brandy)

Just enough to bring out some extra flavours and relax the nerve after working with high voltage.

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_222420.jpg
    IMG_20180303_222420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
Ultima Thule, that article has one glaring error.

Beer is not distilled. It is made by mashing the grain to produce wort, boiling it with hops, and fermenting it.

Whisky is made by distilling beer (which is made without hops).

Gluten will not distill over, so whiskey and other distilled spirits will not contain any unless it is introduced after distillation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Jim. Its because you want to feel like a drunk but you don't want to actually get drunk. You like the drinking songs but not the liquor anymore.

Simple psychiatric behavior.

Alcohol is much like the dog and the car. Once the dog catches the car he doesn't want it anymore. Its all about the pursuit, the chase. The rush.

Trust me man, that ain't it. If I wanted to feel like a drunk, I'd have gone back to drinking again, a looong time ago.

I think the reason may be that I've actually learned to loosen up a bit in some ways since I've been sober, and my musical tastes have shifted accordingly.

Meanwhile, I was recently pleased to discover that the local grocer has my favorite coffee in stock again, nice and fresh. :drink:

Tim Horton’s dark roast coffee - black. Actually quite decent for a chain store brand- I certainly don’t care for the Starbucks over-burnt. Along with a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel makes for a nice mid-morning snack - failure to meet gluten and caffeine free status.
Looks like I forgot about this being first week of local spring break, so the place was packed, and watching the 20 plus staff behind the counter was choreographed mayhem. It was amazing to not see any collisions.

Man, this latest pound of coffee is about the best I've had - fresh & delicious, with deep, complex flavors like some kind of liqueur. It's the same stuff I always buy; I think it must be really fresh. Makes me think that if I can get this good at the grocery store, it's probably even better (and more predictably so) from one of the local roasters that have sprung up in this area in recent years.

Only trouble is, with iced coffee I need to grind a pound at a time, which ties me to the big Bunn mill at the grocery store. I suppose I could ask the roaster place to grind it for me, since I'll be using it all right away; I've been assuming they've got their grinders dialed in for espresso, and it would be a pain for them to switch to the coarse grind I need.

What I really want is a big-*** coffee mill sitting on my kitchen counter! :cool: That way I could buy whatever beans, wherever. But damn, those things are pricey. But I set an Ebay search today anyway, so maybe I can catch a fixer-upper.