What are you drinking?

When we lived in SPb we often heard that water melons were chemical treatened to ripe faster and to make the melon more red.

Have tea with milk in a minute. No sugar.
This chemistry is just nitrate fertilizer. In general, these fakes are very expensive handmade. In the 90s dishonest small farmers did this to sell watermelons much earlier than the season and much more expensive. Now is the season, watermelons on huge plantations are already very ripe, and no one will process watermelons so that they ripen even better, otherwise they will not reach consumers at all, and all watermelons or other vegetables will only deteriorate. Regulators have long been conducting very stringent nitrate tests, after which they can destroy the entire batch. After that, no one will risk it. And I only buy in large retail chains. For all the time since the 70s, I have never come across a nitrate watermelon, because I buy only in season. And this is the most important rule. In general, the quality of vegetables and fruits in Russia is very high, they are tasty and safe. Turkish like plastic. From Chinese fruits in China, my stomach ached immediately. Egyptian and Moroccan products of good quality.

Last edited:
In the last few weeks I've been getting to know sports drinks. I know they're overhyped, but I've been taking them along on some of my longer bike rides, and in this warm weather they do seem to keep me feeling better than plain water did.

I spent last week in Texas with family & friends, cleaning out my father's house after he passed away the previous week. I downed a lot of Gatorade during our 2-day outdoor estate sale & subsequent cleanup in 104° F heat, and felt a lot better than expected when it was done. Don't have much to compare to that, though.

I just wish I'd paid more attention to sunblock - I am an ersatz Texas redneck for real right now. :redhot:

Last edited:
In the last few weeks I've been getting to know sports drinks. I know they're overhyped, but I've been taking them along on some of my longer bike rides, and in this warm weather they do seem to keep me feeling better than plain water did.

I spent last week in Texas with family & friends, cleaning out my father's house after he passed away the previous week. I downed a lot of Gatorade during our 2-day outdoor estate sale & subsequent cleanup in 104° F heat, and felt a lot better than expected when it was done. Don't have much to compare to that, though.

I just wish I'd paid more attention to sunblock - I am an ersatz Texas redneck for real right now. :redhot:
The standard components of a sports drink are, first of all, electrolytes (potassium and sodium), carbohydrates, vitamins and, of course, water. If you cook apricots, peaches, pears. apples and other berries in water with a little sugar, you will also get an analogue of a sports drink, but 100% from natural ingredients. And it will also have a higher content of potassium and sodium, that is, a natural food electrolyte.

When I ride bicycle, I mix powdered Gatorade, but make it weak and then add Lite Salt to bring the potassium and sodium levels back up. I don't like all the sugar, but the salts help a lot.

Local bicyclist call this "Bug Juice".

Guys, who will say in the case, has the taste of such popular classic drinks as Pepsi and Coca Cola changed in the USA over the past 40 years? I recall that taste of the Soviet-made Pepsi of the 80s, and it was much tastier than now. My friends say the same thing.
https://gorod-novoross.ru/news_foto/full/3nqpax5we_rcgi70uymo-tvhz4fk9dsbj61.jpg
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-pdb/1584663/7d829843-7d80-4ddc-b477-8cd1f081c4ed/s1200?webp=false

The label says: made in the USSR from concentrate and Pepsiko technology. Novorossiysk beer factory. Ministry of food industry of the RSFSR ROSGLAVPIVO.
0.33 liters. drink chilled.
Price 31 kopecks excluding the cost of the bottle. (empty bottles in stores at that time were bought out and sent to the factory. In my opinion, one empty bottle cost 10 or 15 kopecks).

The dollar to ruble exchange rate was $ 1 = 0.66 ruble (66 kopecks).

And these are modern not tasty.

https://ds04.infourok.ru/uploads/ex/017a/000cd2b9-ad56fcad/img16.jpg

Last edited: