What are some good example of baffle design to improve diffraction

The discussion here has inspired me to talk in very simple terms about
"Baffle design, Diffraction, Radiation pattern & sound perception" at
Burning Amp 2017

Analog XO/EQ

Simpler than here:

Acoustics & Mechanics

SL

Reading about LXmini woofer reminded me of a design I had written to You about a couple of years ago (after that You posted a link on the Constant directivity loudspeaker designs page) ie. Yoshii9 of Time Domain Japan:

TIMEDOMAIN

zd001.jpg

I am aware that You use the up-firing woofer only below 1 kHz while Mr Yoshii uses a small driver fullrange but what do You think of it?

What possible advantages/disadvantages?

Can the small fullrange be replaced by a bigger up-firing coaxial speaker for better results? How could this approach possibly compare to Pluto/LXmini approach?

This kind of upwards radiating speakers don't give hardly any direct radiation above 2-3kHz. Tonal balance must be quite "smooth an mellow" if no equalization is used. That's why Linkwitz's Pluto an LXMini have vertically positioned tweeters that must be pointed towards the listener.

Old near-wall speakers like Sonab OA and Larsen had/have several tweeters to spread out high frequencies. They were originally designed for mono sound/single unit - they spray the music in a room quite well...

Larsen HiFi 8 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
Speakers - CarlssonPlanet

I have a pair of these OA-14 at my summer cabin!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
This kind of upwards radiating speakers don't give hardly any direct radiation above 2-3kHz. Tonal balance must be quite "smooth an mellow" if no equalization is used. That's why Linkwitz's Pluto an LXMini have vertically positioned tweeters that must be pointed towards the listener.
[/IMG]

this is not necessarily a problem:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/10962-stereolith-loudspeakers-question-67.html#post2732948

- there are measurements too

apparently there is sufficient direct radiation

The reality is that all the baffle work you can do can never eliminate baffle diffraction. Besides a sphere there is always some diffraction,it is a given.

Even a sphere has diffraction, but it can be shown to have the least diffraction for any given volume.

Diffraction depends on the rate of change of the surface, or the second derivative of the surface (the first derivative simply being the angle of the baffle, which can always be made zero by choice of coordinates.) So any edge will have high diffraction unless it is rounded. The more gradual the rounding the less diffraction. But "gradual" depends on wavelength so for a given radius the curve is gradual to HFs, but sharp to LFs.

The examples shown at the beginning are poor designs for diffraction as they still have sharp edges. These designs are easy to build, but less than ideal. Certainly better than most boxes however.

You can of course *effectively* eliminate the effects of baffle diffraction through absorption.

Also, as others have already suggested: making it maximally diffractive at a freq. sufficiently above it's passband (with an appropriately steep crossover) is also effective. (..basically the "no-baffle" approach eventually adopted by JohnK and SL.)

(..and a combination of the two methods should work well for those requiring a less "steep" crossover/wider-passband.)

As a study, it might be interesting to determine:

1. at what freq.s diffraction effects are deemed increasingly negative to a listener, and

2. at what amplitudes relative to the average are diffraction effects deemed increasingly negative to a listener, and

3. (in relation to pressure-loss), which is deemed more negative: either broad passband diffraction effects or narrow passband diffraction effects.

Last edited:
You can of course *effectively* eliminate the effects of baffle diffraction through absorption.

Also, as others have already suggested: making it maximally diffractive at a freq. sufficiently above it's passband (with an appropriately steep crossover) is also effective. (..basically the "no-baffle" approach eventually adopted by JohnK and SL.)

(..and a combination of the two methods should work well for those requiring a less "steep" crossover/wider-passband.)

As a study, it might be interesting to determine:

1. at what freq.s diffraction effects are deemed increasingly negative to a listener, and

2. at what amplitudes relative to the average are diffraction effects deemed increasingly negative to a listener, and

3. (in relation to pressure-loss), which is deemed more negative: either broad passband diffraction effects or narrow passband diffraction effects.

and perhaps diffraction effects have a detrimental effect also in the spatial domain, not only in tonality?

Edges and all other elements of the loudspeaker which reflect/diffract sound create secondary sound sources which leave the loudspeaker imprint on the reproduced sound unmasking it as an artificial sound source?

Baffle discontinuities may in fact have effects on diffraction

This is the test candidate, my W22 (LowMid) - W12 - (HighMid) - T29 (Tweeter) actual proto.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now I made a measurement fo the T29 output with the array "as is" (red), and another measurement with the baffle cutout of the W12 obturated by cardboard (green).

There is clearly a difference to be seen. Whereas in the Pulse-Graph the difference seems not so impressive at the chosen, regular scale, the ETC graph shows a smoother decay of energy for the obturated (green) variation. So this W12 baffle cutout needs some reworking ...

Thanks for the ETC-hint, martijn (aka keyser)

Last edited: