What are people using in JE Labs OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, what are people using in the JE Labs open baffle setup?

Some body in the forums (sorry, I wish I could remember who) said, "The B200 will provide decent bass on the right sized baffle. And more if you place it a little lower on the baffle and angle it
slightly upward".

The B200 seems like a possible good candidate to use in this baffle.

I am just starting my journey into open baffle and would prefer to just use a single speaker. I listen to punk, metal and also lighter music like The Slackers. I don't really listen to loud and don't need no house shacking bass.

Thank you.

JE LAbs set up.

not really JE Labs (read his web site...). His style of open baffle was presented in a Japanese mag, Stereo Sound "Tube Kingdom".

I've used old salvaged Oxford J10's with a coaxially mounted Seas tweeter and a simple 2nd order crossover. I have some Hemp Acoustics FR8HQs I will try, and also some old Altecs (409-8d), that nobody seems to know anything about.

Whatever the driver(s) being used, I'd pick something intended as a musical instrument speaker, or a vintage piece from an open backed console or something similar. Start cheap. If the bug gets ya, then move onto more expensive drivers. It may be that you have pets or small kids or whatever. If you do a nice job with the baffles, you can reuse them with better drivers. Follow Joseph Esmilla's advice and finish the baffles however you want, first. 2 years later, I still have no paint, no stain, nuthin on mine--naked! If you don't you probably never will finish them.

I've never modelled mine. But I don't care. If bass is light, a couple of small mods give ya more. A full width top "top shelf", and a full with horizontal brace near the bottom of the legs about 6" wide, full width of the leg separation.

There will be a fair bit of bass there, but it will be completely different than one might think. Pretty deep bass, but no impact. Kinda like Magneplanars. And do not alter the panel dimensions at all if you can help it. you can narrow the baffle and create "wings" to help out, but overall, the total area of the wings and baffles should be similarly sized to the complete JE Labs style baffle.Do a search on open baffles here @ diyaudio.com, there have been many builds.

I know some of the CSS fullrangers have been used. Emminence, and modified Emminence, Hawthorne, Hemp Acoustics, Tone Tubbys, etc. Lots of the instrument types. Beyma, Monacors, Visaton, etc...

The Hemps I have are the "HQ" type,

with a Q of .41

Apparently Perry is working on an OB specific type. But I'm gonna try it anyways. Q can be modified using a couple of old school tricks.

The Visaton B200s are reportedly very good, although I have no personal experience with them.

JE used Altec 604s I think to good effect. But do a search. There are quite a few OB projects here. Again, I cannot over emphasize the importance of retaining the 31.5" X 35.5" baffle, and the placement of the driver.

I would encourage you to use something you may already have, eg the Peavy instrument speaker. The problem is if you try 1 , you'll need to get another ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.