What are good 8" drivers for a 2-way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can try Seas Exotic line of speakers or Audio Note drivers or kits if you have deep pockets. Report back your impressions ;) . 8" and bigger drivers are out ,because they are not "sexy" and wifes won't tolerate them in their gay designed interiors. Also, about the only quality which counts in modern High-end is imaging staging and wow factor. Slim, cute, small vibrators are quite good at that. We all want more wow and more sex don't we ;)

Who cares about power response, you will only be listening from one position presumably.

What does beaming sound like can anyone tell me?

I think, in room you are listening more power response than straight front response at 0 degrees.

Far away from the classic-monitor theme, but this could easily be combined with an 8"er without beaming at the crossover point (massive beaming on top, of course).
http://www.expolinear.de/images/stories/expolinear rt-10 pro.pdf

I mean beaming of midbass driver. Tweeters is usually NOT beaming at its lower end.

Last edited:
This should not be tweeter/midrange discussion but how about using 2,5"-3" fullrange as "tweeter" with 8 incher? That way you can lower distortion on "tweeter" when using quite low XO (~1500 Hz 1. or 2. order slope) and more beaming at lower and as bassdriver does.

Markaudio 6/7?

http://www.markaudio.com/pdf/d1.pdf
http://www.markaudio.com/pdf/d3.pdf

You can and 0,75" dome tweeter as supertweeter ~15000 Hx XO if top end is beaming too much

Here is a 60° measurement of an 8"er (not many manufacturers display that).
Mesures 215 GMF SUPRAVOX - page 1
The Expolinear would allow a crossover point before the woofer beams, every dome I know wouldn't.

How come others don't display? Here is Seas, all in the same pic ;)

Supravox may have little wider despersion (looser cone material?). Notice very different segregation on SPL axis.

Answer to them who think that 8" married with small dome tweeter, do you think that problems in directivity and power response are so massive that vastly superior bass performance of 8 incher makes no sense? 8" has three times cone area than 5" so I think it modulates mids lot less than smaller and distortion is smaller.

Speaker designing is mainly sacrificing one criteria to another.

More than 50% of the sound heard in a room, even listening on axis, is often off axis sound reflected off the walls , floor & ceiling

On axis is really only relevant in an anechoic chamber

Whoa, that is not true at all. The ratio of direct vs. reflected sound is a function of many factors, including listening distance, room size, speaker placement in the room, room treatments and other things like the shape of the room. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

This should not be tweeter/midrange discussion but how about using 2,5"-3" fullrange as "tweeter" with 8 incher? That way you can lower distortion on "tweeter" when using quite low XO (~1500 Hz 1. or 2. order slope) and more beaming at lower and as bassdriver does.

Yeah, I got that idea too, but in a round about way. I was going to take a small Seas 5" coaxial and add a larger woofer for it to make a 3 way. Then I balked at the price of the Seas and decided to try a small "full range" driver and cross over at 500 Hz as a 2 way. Of course, this is for low level listening only as each driver can only handle 20 watts or so and they are only 83 dB sensitive. The upside is that they will be sitting in a small office where I work and don't need to play loud. I'm building them now, so I hope they turn out good. I can't hear above 10KHz anyway so I don't have an intense interest in tweeters any more.

Again, 2 kHz crossover won't do it, if one is a dispersion fetishist. Another option for crossing lower is a compression driver. Do you think a pro-style coaxial with low sensitivity woofer section is acceptable for classic-monitor freaks?
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX205.PDF

I wouldn't do it. You're still stuck with a high crossover. I was able to use an 8" pro woofer and pro compression driver with horn and cross over at 1.6 KHz. I followed the manufacturers directions on that but others have crossed the B&C DE250 over much lower, like 900Hz or so, with a suitable horn of course. The horn I used is only good down to 1.5KHz.

Also, with that driver your going to have to pad it down 10dB. That's not a big deal since I had to pad the tweeter down I think 12 dB. Fs is 1KHz for that tweeter so you have to cross over much higher than that if you want it to play loud.

Back to topic and driver's themself.

What are parameters you look for when you consider is 8" suitable for midrange(woofer) or does it collapse into plain woofer? If you want to XO 1,5-2,0 kHz, woofer must have response to ~4 kHz minumum. Many 8's do that (what comes to manufacturer data), some better some worse, but if Mms climbs up to 25-30 g and sensitivity stays at ~89 dB I think is not too good sign for midrange unit.

8" fullrange have high SPL and low Mms, usually bit too high for decent bass performance. Qts should be around 0,30-0,40 and Fs around 30-38 Hz but not achieved by heavy cone.:)

An old design, but great performing none the less...

HUMAN Speakers: PRO 001 Woofer

And the tweeter is rather robust and is typically used at a low-ish xo point of 1.5kHz.

HUMAN Speakers: PRO 002 Tweeter

I'm somewhat bias in that I have the old, original versions of these drivers in my Genesis Physics II's, but they are truly great sounding speakers, even besting my trusty NHT 2.9's.

An old design, but great performing none the less...

HUMAN Speakers: PRO 001 Woofer

The first is the response as shown in Basta! (what a great software package!) The sealed box is 76 liter with 50% Viso, box in the wall (no diffraction). The second is with diffraction and a baffle of .65 m tall by .4 m wide. Mic distance of 1 m from driver, box in free space.

Attachments

• Human 8  FR.JPG
    Human 8 FR.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Human 8 in box.JPG
    Human 8 in box.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 449
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.