What amp could I build with 600VA 2x61V AC transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The LM4780 claims (in the datasheet) to take 20V to 84V, so I guess that's always an option.

So my hunch about rectifying the same pair twice in each direction makes sense? I'll have to draw it out to see it I guess..

But in conclusion, it's either much too high for any discrete amp, or slightly on the low side?

I could buy 3 and build a 6 channel (5.1 surround) lm4780 chipamp? could be interesting but I get the feeling I'm solving problems that don't exist :p

The LM4780 claims (in the datasheet) to take 20V to 84V, so I guess that's always an option.

You should keep in mind that these are the absolute limits. There are additional restrictions on using the IC at a high voltage differential (Vcc-Vee). For instance you would need a larger heat sink and could only operate with 16 ohm or higher loads connected to each channel. Mains voltage fluctuations e.g. higher than average mains voltage becomes a big concern.

Hey guys,

Hypex is over stocked on some transformers, and is selling them with a steep discount. Especially this one looks very interesting to me:

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/TR700_datasheet.pdf

It's 600VA, with dual 0-61V AC secondaries at 50 euro.

I am looking to do a nice high end amp for my next project and was thinking of either a Leach or the Honey Badger, but I'd usually pay double that price for half that VA, and transformers are the most expensive part usually.

Now 120VCT is a crazy amount, are there any amps that run on -/+85V DC that I could build?

I know the LM4780 does according to the datasheet, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, and I've already built a chip amp and would like to try out something more complex.

Alternatively they also have 120VA transformers at 20 euro, also a good price, but they'd have to be parallel for any decent setup, and rectifier bridges aren't free either.

What would you guys do?

Do you have a link to where those transformers are being sold?

So my hunch about rectifying the same pair twice in each direction makes sense? I'll have to draw it out to see it I guess..

But in conclusion, it's either much too high for any discrete amp, or slightly on the low side?

I could buy 3 and build a 6 channel (5.1 surround) lm4780 chipamp? could be interesting but I get the feeling I'm solving problems that don't exist :p
84V is less than +-45V (=90V).
Read the datasheet !!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.