Wharfedale W-25 RS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted a similar inquiry on another board but I have a new angle on this problem. I have two Wharfedale w-15 Rs drivers that I use for LF off an electronic crossover. They are currently on open baffles. One of them rattles
badly when driven with deep bass. When I depress it there is no indication of
VC rub. In fact, it seems like it has a large gap. I am now speculating that the cloth surrounds which are solid, may be less sealed than I suspected. I can blow through them using the Troels Gravesen straw test. Am I deluding myself
that this driver is not simply blown?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

W15RS in open baffle.

I realize a year has passed and hopefully you found and fixed the problem. Yours recalled a similar problem I read here about an hour ago. Turned out to be a loose dust cap. You might also look at the spider as part of it may have come loose.

A note worthy of mention. If you're using these in/on an open baffle, the annulus, surrounds, not being air tight would make no difference unless they're "puckering" during long excursions. If you haven't damaged these speakers in such a baffle by now is somewhat of a miracle unless you don't "get on" them. That roll surround won't hold without proper baffle/cabinmet loading. Most speakers used in open baffles usually have stiff suspensions and as a result, won't do well at low frequencies below 50-60 hz.

I posted a similar inquiry on another board but I have a new angle on this problem. I have two Wharfedale w-15 Rs drivers that I use for LF off an electronic crossover. They are currently on open baffles. One of them rattles
badly when driven with deep bass. When I depress it there is no indication of
VC rub. In fact, it seems like it has a large gap. I am now speculating that the cloth surrounds which are solid, may be less sealed than I suspected. I can blow through them using the Troels Gravesen straw test. Am I deluding myself
that this driver is not simply blown?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Just saw your comment. I have been off this board for a while. I did mend the dust caps which had become unglued. As for the surrounds, I suspect you're right and will look for damage. I use these crossed below 150hz and the excursion tends to be barely visible with the music I listen to however I some electronic music will drive them to dangerous threshholds.

Thanks for the warning.

Regards,

Jason

Just a guess on my part...are you using any frequency equalization with your set-up? Does the buzz exhibit itself when running tone controls flat or bypassed?

I've noticed with a lot of electronica music that there is a certain amount of LF wave complexity that the older drivers with more compliant surrounds seem overwhelmed to handle.

Looking at your OBs I am also thinking they may not quite be wide enough for the size of the two large drivers you are utilizing...but difficult to tell without any dimensions and measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.