Wharfedale Shelton XP2, A minor classic IMO

Meant to add that I also have Dovedale 3's which are great speaker's but sadly oversize for my room. I have also had early Dentons and recently bought a pair of the current Denton, which I quickly sold on as I didn't like them at all - muffled and boomy... the buyer likes them thouģh..

surprised to find the 1R in the filter on the bass driver is actually 12 Ohms

I'd be interested in seeing your version of the crossover schematic.

In post #35, the 1 ohm resistor represents Steve's estimated value of the 16 uF electrolytic capacitor's equivalent series resistance (ESR), and is not an actual physical component.

P.S. A pair of Dovedale 3 went though my hands. I kept the enclosures, but sold the drivers and in their place fitted my Wharfedale RS/12/DD full range drivers with helper tweeters to much greater effect.

I still have a pair of Denton 2 which were my friend's. I've played around with them, recapping/modifying the crossover etc. but they still sound lacking in excitement.

I know that the modern retro styled Denton 80 and 85 are voiced for a warmer sound - something not to your taste it would appear!

Thanks - interesting though the 12R in series with the 16uf is an actual physical component in the Xovers I have....I agree that the drawing is accurate for the Shelton except for the 12R and the added load resistors in the tweeter cct.
Sounds good too! The Xover I use is a 0.68mH inductor feeding the bass driver (6db) The tweeter is a 3uf cap with 0.68mH to Grnd with a 10uf feeding the tweeter from their junction - very simple but effective. As mentioned with the Wharfedale bass driver the filter is still needed.

Reactions: 1 user