Wharfedale Dovedale 3

I can understand all of the various iterations of the Dovedale except for the "SP" which looks so different that it should have been called something else. Maybe a "Robindale"!!!
They could have called it a 'Wensleydale', but I guess that would have been too cheesy! ;)

P.S. That's a neat switching arrangement Andre - well interpreted! I now have your updated circuit saved for future reference. :cool:

P.P.S. I see that, by examining the physical layout of the circuit board, you've determined that only the tweeter is reverse connected - which is in agreement with Dave's interpretation of the alternative circuit board design. Glad you've cleared that up! :up:

Attachments

• Wensleydale.jpg
    Wensleydale.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 187
IMG_20190805_155844.jpg

IMG_20190805_155832.jpg

Thread couldn't have come at a better time, I just acquired a lovely pair myself and going through a rebuild.

I found my bass drivers to be really stiff, trying to push the cone on these drivers is an effort. But I believe thats how they are.

Would love a pair of kingsdales Galu! Just finished reading the book a pair of wharfedales and throughly enjoyed it.

Good read for any wharfedale enthusiast.

Also I'm not too sure about the midrange on my particular model.

I feel the super 5 is a far superior driver. Believe it was used on the earlier Dovedale models.

I have a pair and wondering if I should replace it? Super 5s are 10-15 ohm though.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190805_161247.jpg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I found my bass drivers to be really stiff, trying to push the cone on these drivers is an effort. But I believe thats how they are.

Maybe. But i use a pair of wharfedale 10” woofers (similar generation to the ones in your Dovedales) were the rubber surround has gone solid/stiff as an example that rubber surrounds are not age-proof. I suspect you will need to resurround them.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One of my buddies is a Wharfedale fantic. Have a pair of his W60 (alnico) in the basement. We have to put new surrounds on the Super 3s (i have some surround material from a buddy in Calgary), and are gong to put a modern cap in the XO. A working Super 3 alnico is a quite good midtweeter. He has ceramix W70s which have the Super 5 — i haven’t seen or heard it yet.

BTW: given the duties of the era, the actual speakers were made in Canada with parts from the UK.

dave

Interesting are these butyl type rubber surrounds? Anyone else got dovedales that can check the movement on the bass drivers and let me know?
Wharfedale referred to the surround material as 'Flexiprene'. The name nowadays refers to a polyurethane sealent which cures to a flexible rubber. No idea if that's the same substance!

My Dovedale model 3014 bass drivers showed substantial resistance to having their cones depressed by hand. The Flexiprene surrounds, however, were soft and showed no signs of deterioration. I believe a high degree of resistance is normal for these drivers. As confimation, my drivers reproduced deep bass effortlessly.

My Dovedales had always been stored in a centrally heated environment - those stored in garages, attics and outhouses may not have faired so well in the surround department!

P.S. As for changing the midrange drivers, you would no longer have a bona fide pair of Dovedale 3s! ;)

Attachments

• 2. Bass A Cone.JPG
    2. Bass A Cone.JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 4. Bass A Z.jpg
    4. Bass A Z.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 192
It's possible that the stiffness is due to Wharfedale's use of a 'high stability rear suspension' as mentioned in the 3014 specifications appended below.

Heavy duty paper cone with rubber roll surround
High stability rear suspension
Outer chassis diameter 315mm
Inner cone + surround diameter 305mm
Mounting hole circle diameter 320mm
Nominal impedance 6Ω
Large ceramic magnet, flux density 135,000 maxwell
System power handling 50W DIN
Driver free air resonance 25Hz
Response is only 3dB down at 45Hz in a 45 litre sealed cabinet
Upper crossover frequency 600 - 1,500Hz

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wondering if something like this would suffice?

If you can find the right size, you can make the woofer better, but it will very likely have differences in the T/S. But closer to what they were than what they are now. You’d have to measure them and tweak the box as needd to suit the new woofer. You’ll have to be able to measure useful T/S parameters.

These are also half-round surround that goes up. The Wharfedales go down (probably not an issue with a woofer). Different surround character will change the damping and behaviour at the cone/surround junction.

I’m sure if you search deeper you should have more options to choose from.

I am lucky that the Super 3 has a flat surround and i have sheets of a foam that my guy used for surrounds for his 25mm dome.

dave