Western Electric 1928 - WE 555 Dissect, Design, DIY??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fellows, I have no idea what you are thinking about?

All I did is to split off the topic of the 555's construction from the thread on more general issues. There was at least one or two interested in the topic in that thread.

If no one else is interested in the discussion, then that's how it goes.

Those with a perpetual sour grapes attitude - you know who you may be - need not participate. Positive posts are greatly preferable.

Speaking for myself, I can build the driver save the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the hardest part to duplicate. More to it than meets the naked eye. That's true of any compression driver, but equally so or more so for the 555... lacking one in hand, that job it much harder to make happen.

_-_-bear

there are at least two clones commercially available now from asia, if anyone wants to buy one or two for themselves... fyi.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
How can what has already been beat to death go any further? Is anyone going to actually build a 555 type driver or is this just a mental exercise? After the previous 1000+ post thread I think everyone got what needed to be said ..........said.

:cop: DavidL if you are not interested in the discussion going on in this thread, then the easiest thing to do is stop reading it.

"Speaking for myself, I can build the driver save the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the hardest part to duplicate. More to it than meets the naked eye. That's true of any compression driver, but equally so or more so for the 555... lacking one in hand, that job it much harder to make happen."

_-_-bear

How about asking Joe on that other list if he could get us a broken one? That would at least be a starting point. (It would still be tough to do)
dennis h

If you are referring to Joe Roberts, he does not have one.

It is not sufficient to merely have one. I suspect that this is part of why the clones are *reported* to not sound as good as the originals...

...the exact manufacturing process plays a role. It's metallurgy in practice.

Otoh, some might say it makes no difference.

_-_-bear

If you are referring to Joe Roberts, he does not have one.

It is not sufficient to merely have one. I suspect that this is part of why the clones are *reported* to not sound as good as the originals...

...the exact manufacturing process plays a role. It's metallurgy in practice.

Otoh, some might say it makes no difference.

_-_-bear

Yes I was being hopefull, too bad. Yes it would still be tough with a original, but easier than without one at all. Do you remember Paul's diy compression field coil driver ? He made his own diaphram. (that is what I was basing my hope on)
dennis h

Well, you let me know the exact recipe for the thoriated filaments used by the different companies, and then we can talk?

They are made by a process - you can get a workable process via the documents that remain + experimentation, but duplicating the original is difficult since the proprietary methods have more or less be lost. I am using this as an example, the diaphragm manufacture is of course a different process but the method has been similarly lost over time, afaik.

Also the exact alloys of aluminum available in that period are not always the same today or available today.

Will this make any difference as to how it performs or sounds? I have no way to know. We do know that the reports are that the clones do not sound as good as the originals - whatever that means. I am just bringing up possibilities.

Others have suggested that it may be the iron in the "pot" casting too.

Dunno, you tell me. :D

_-_-bear

It is rather easy answer.

Everything except the diaphragm are values, magnitudes and dimensions.

Such as magnetic flux, rear chamber geometry and fill, phase plug dimensions. You can replicate every single parameter of the original except for the moving assembly and it's suspension.
You can even replicate the voice coil.

Best regards! :)

Now, here is a curious fact: Western Electric

Western Electric actually still exists :D I post it, as I didn't happen to come across a link to their site in both threads.

It would be interesting to make an inquiry about any available documents in the archive. Furthermore, giving the knowledge in the hands of hobbyists would be great having in mind the replicas produced in Asia and the whole fuss around those drivers.

The first to e-mail them, please inform here :) otherwise, I will do it as soon as I put up some technically sensible text good enough for bothering them :)

That "Western Electric" merely has title to the rights to use the name to make tubes that are new manufacture of old WE types. They are as close as they could make them. Not sure they are still in production.

humhoom, I do not think it is so much how tight manufacturing tolerances were in terms of the alloy or metals used. My understanding is/was that the actual iron used for casting back in those times was lower in carbon and other elements, making it purer and more ductile among other things. I do not know this for fact, and of course with a sample of the old iron one could presumably draw conclusions regarding its make up and manufacture; possibly duplicate it today.

Keep in mind that "everything" has been replicated by the asian companies that have copied the 555, but the reports are more or less unanimous in the opinons that they just do not sound as good or the same. I have not heard them, so I do not know.

...jes sayin'...

_-_-bear

"Will this make any difference as to how it performs or sounds? I have no way to know. We do know that the reports are that the clones do not sound as good as the originals - whatever that means. I am just bringing up possibilities."

So there is a lot we do not know...
What do we know about 555 diaphragms ?
dennis h

Keep in mind that "everything" has been replicated by the asian companies that have copied the 555, but the reports are more or less unanimous in the opinons that they just do not sound as good or the same. I have not heard them, so I do not know.

...jes sayin'...

_-_-bear

LineMagnetic Audiodesign Lab - Page 2 - Audio Voice Acoustics

http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/i...78573&pageNo=2

these germans made direct A/B comparisons between a original WE555, and LM555. Following the comments:

Although taken out straight from the carton, not a minute of trouble and not fit properly connected (clamping nuts on the horn necks), the replicas were playing starting from the first moment absolutely convincing. Very close to the original as eight friends that were invited to a listen could also confirm.

Sonically, the two drivers are the practically identical. With the difference in the field voltage of 1-2 tenths of them take over the originals practically nothing.

Your second link doesn't work... :(

The only comment about the quote - not sure where it comes from - is that if the drivers were not mounted to the horn properly then there would be measurable deviations from "ideal" performance. Not sure what they are talking about, since the link did not work, I assume that it is from one of the links??

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.