Weird BIB Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
How about a BIB line array?

Nine FE126's in a really tall BIB, tuned lower than a regular sized FE126 BIB. Wired series-parallel they'd be what, 100 db 1W/1M and 8 ohms? I'm sure there would be lobing issues, but...

They would SERIOUSLY rock.

:D

Whaddaya think?

BHD said:
How about a BIB line array?

Nine FE126's in a really tall BIB, tuned lower than a regular sized FE126 BIB. Wired series-parallel they'd be what, 100 db 1W/1M and 8 ohms? I'm sure there would be lobing issues, but...

They would SERIOUSLY rock.

:D

Whaddaya think?

combing issues, ya think?

why not just a bipole metronome with FE207's & FE83 - I'd dare say that would rock, and cost far less

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
combing issues, ya think?

why not just a bipole metronome with FE207's & FE83 - I'd dare say that would rock, and cost far less

Er, well I meant combing when I said lobing. Ooops. :cannotbe:

I figured the FE126 might be small enough where one could get away with it. Actually, I've thought about a pair of metronome bipole FE168 sigmas.

planet10 said:

To do that you need to be able to space the drivers on the order of 35-40 mm centre-to-centre

dave

Well, I guess it could be possible to get FE83 or FF85K to fit within those dimensions, but the inevitable question would be ; exactly why a line array, unless just for the experience?

FWIW, the LA subject was rode hard and put away wet many months ago. To say the least it is as controversial a subject as any in the DIY arena, and proper execution is fraught with issues that most FullRange junkies would rather soon avoid.

To be fair, the only DIY example I've heard is one of Terry Olsen's experiments. Sorry, Terry just not my cup of tea - the little RS40-1197 cleaned its clock AFAIC.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
To do that you need to be able to space the drivers on the order of 35-40 mm centre-to-centre

Even the little Jordan drivers are bigger than that.

:bawling:

the inevitable question would be ; exactly why a line array, unless just for the experience?

It's simple. Efficiency and power handling. By wiring multiple drivers in series-parallel you can get significant increases in efficiency and power handling. Since the BIB is a tall relatively narrow cabinet anyway, I thought it was an interesting idea. But if it means getting poor sound it doesn't really matter.

:whazzat:

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Line arrays are replacing horns in large venues.

In most of the PA line arrays, they're doing the exact opposite of the concave curve in home line arrays that focus at one point like Scottmoose and ronc said. The PA systems I've seen are convex.

But if the distances between driver centers that Dave said are correct (and I assume they are), the point is moot anyway.

Too bad. The little Fostex FE83E looks like it'd make a killer OB line array.

:(

That would be 7th Veil.

I heard the earlier incarnations at a HiFi show back in the 90s and they sounded good. There was also a speaker using something like 19 or 20 Bandors in a line array, but I didn't think it sounded any better than Steve's 4-unit boxes. The same idea is used in the Jordan Linear Array , which I've also heard. Both systems give a spooky solid image when you move around the room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.