Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i received the dual ak4399 and i have to say that is the best DAC i have heard a long time ago. Against the single ak4399 is a very big difference in every aspect. Stage wide and depth a lot more air around each instrument. Sound Colors great. I have never heard a Piano like this simple wonderful. USB XMos did not work i have to check with the supplier.
I have streamed with Denon DNP 720 AE over Optical digital out.

worst case, you can wire up a separate ir receiver and controller (I prefer arduinos, lol) and have that trigger the 3 push buttons. its a bit indirect but then again, you'd have access to the source code and can have the IR system do other things, to other boxes in your stereo.

you'll never get source code from ebayers in china. it seems counter-cultural for them to share. I hate saying it, but its true. they don't even want to give schematics away, its like pulling teeth, asking them for one after you bought their gear. I really hate that ;(

Thanks for input. I agree on this and that's what I thought for a worst case. The noticeable thing for me is, they just enabled soft volume control in dual mono mode.

APL hifi's DAC_S specs mention such a feature regarding to the AK4399 chip:

Attenuator control with 0.5dB step. No preamp required.Please note that, unlike most digital attenuators available, the one built inside the AKM DACs is not inside the digital filter.

I don't know what does it mean actually in technical terms but this feature sounds good for me anyway.

Beside the axial caps it looks good for me. I hope it will arrieved in mid January. I will write something about it.

I would not worry about axial caps because of that they soldered upon positive legs vertically which seem they were aware of what they doing. Btw, your actual experience confirms the way of implementation.

Note: AKM launched a new chip "AK4495". THD is 3db worse but it features up to 768khz sample rate support.

Last edited:
I have the used the 4396 and its good, now I use the single 4399 and the difference seems in my system the 4399 handles complex music better, and the i get vocals where i like them, i have been using this dac for about 6 months and its opened up and even better.

Last edited:
i received the dual ak4399 and i have to say that is the best DAC i have heard a long time ago. Against the single ak4399 is a very big difference in every aspect. Stage wide and depth a lot more air around each instrument. Sound Colors great. I have never heard a Piano like this simple wonderful. USB XMos did not work i have to check with the supplier.
I have streamed with Denon DNP 720 AE over Optical digital out.

Are you talking about the ak4399+xmos usb only in same board you had before or DAC9?

Last edited:
I would not worry about axial caps because of that they soldered upon positive legs vertically which seem they were aware of what they doing. Btw, your actual experience confirms the way of implementation.

Note: AKM launched a new chip "AK4495". THD is 3db worse but it features up to 768khz sample rate support.

Yes i know. What i have learned in 30 Years creating High End Speaker's (my own Label, Fine Art Acoustic in Germany) is that you have to try everything even if you thing that can not work this is most the best. Or the unexpected will be very often the best. :cool:

Last edited:
i received the dual ak4399 and i have to say that is the best DAC i have heard a long time ago. Against the single ak4399 is a very big difference in every aspect. ....

Hi fine,
I'm also very interested in this dual ak4399 board on ebay. Having no schematic of the board, I was wondering if the board is a 2-layer board (top&bottom) or has it multiple layers? A 2 layer board is easier to folow the tracks, if one would need to make modifications to it. Thanks

my easy way out to high def audio: use the m2tech hiface usb/spdif dongle. spdif works fine and this can support 192/24 audio in UAC2 on linux.

no need to support companies that fight you. if they won't support your os, take your business elsewhere. the hiface dongle has been working out well for me (linux and mpd, as player).

the dac9 (I use a pair of them) has a wolfson spdif rx chip and it works just fine. you really don't have to go out of your way to avoid spdif and favor i2s.

my easy way out to high def audio: use the m2tech hiface usb/spdif dongle. spdif works fine and this can support 192/24 audio in UAC2 on linux.

no need to support companies that fight you. if they won't support your os, take your business elsewhere. the hiface dongle has been working out well for me (linux and mpd, as player).

the dac9 (I use a pair of them) has a wolfson spdif rx chip and it works just fine. you really don't have to go out of your way to avoid spdif and favor i2s.

Hey Thanx for sharing!!!

I got the DAC9 with OPA627's on them. Sounds nice out of the box. But I think a step lower than an OPPO93 at the moment . Been using the spdif input. Need to let it run for a few days before making any A/B comparisons. Seems slightly rolled off in HF that robs transients of attack and voice sounds very busy when you have multiple voices. All relatively speaking of course. But single voice sounds slightly smoother than the OPPO. OPPO93 can sound a bit shouty on some tracks , this is much less with this DAC9. ( the room must also be aggravating the tracks that sound shouty !) . Headphones will clarify that issue. I'll try that later on.

Ashok I like much the xmos input over the coax input.
Do you have the xmos?
I am a bit surpraise you like more the oppo 93, I sell my modified asus one with muses for it.
Do you have the ak 4113 + ak 4399 version? And where do you bougth it?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.