Weeding out trolls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you guys are really serious about weeding out trolls......

Then I strongly suggest that you carefully research the profiles of every person in this thread, including me. (I hope you find mine amusing, but somehow I suspect you won't. That's life.)

I see at least one. Perhaps 2.

I will assume the good people who feel that way will direct the moderators to take appropriate action. And so will Jason.

Look, if you guys want to run HH off, then just ignore him. Don't laugh at his jokes, even if they amuse you. Don't acknowledge any technical advice he gives. Don't follow the well-researched links he provides.

When no one laughs anymore, I seriously doubt you''ll have to cross paths with him again.

Otherwise, just lighten up. Afterall, it was all just meant to be a joke. Maybe not to your taste or liking, but just a joke.

Jocko

it was all just meant to be a joke.

I don't want to say that one can live with out such funny things, perhaps this forum ain't suited for such acts.

I'm sure there is tons of forum on the internet where someone could let his self go.

:idea:
If you find I'm wrong then maybe we should create a new section on this site for such a thing the -"Joking around with trolls" forum...

So Bernhard.......

Did you guys finally find him? And was he punished? And what was his punishment? And did you find out who his confederates are? We are waiting........

This one will not go away, so it would be in the best interests of this forum for the whole truth to be exposed. And not swept under the carpet. If that type of defamation and character assasination is allowed to go on without the whole gang rounded up, then why do we have forum rules and moderators?

Jocko

Equal application of "the law"?

Come on Jocko! That is SO American. :D

Well, outside of New Jersey that least. ;)

I do agree, the moderators are playing favorites.

And I find the threads discussing the individual in question (by name) most disturbing. Some might call it slander, not allowing him to defend himself in this public forum. :(

No, Steve, that isn't what I was refering to...

I'm afraid you are not privy to the incident in question. I feel it is worse than that. Most of the evidence has been eliminated. But not all...........

Well, moderators, I'm still waiting for an answer. Do I have to bring this matter to Jason's attention? It must be resolved, in a fair and open manner. Yes, names have to be named, their "sin" acknowledged, and all the guilty punished.

Jocko

I think that whenever someone is banned, this person should be
allowed to give his/her own view of the circumstances. It is not
good if the moderators just ban a person, giving him/her no
chance to a defense. If not allowed to post at all, this could be
done by mailing a moderator or fellow forum member, who
posts it for this person.

There was an incident some time ago on another forum, where
somebody had obviously been banned by a moderator and all
the postings leading to the ban were removed by the moderator.
A few members seem to have read the posts before being
removed, but no evidence was left. There were disputes as to
whether this person had behaved bad enough to be banned,
but most members couldn't comment on it, since all "proof"
was removed. Another member almost got himself banned for
requiring that the moderator made the offending posts available
so he and others could form their own opinion on the case.
The moderator refused to do so, which was not a very good
behaviuor in my opinion. I hope we can avoid a similar case
here.

Curiouser and curiouser

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

`Who are YOU?' said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

`What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. `Explain yourself!'

`I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, `because I'm not myself, you see.'

`I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.

`I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,' Alice replied very politely, `for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'

`It isn't,' said the Caterpillar.

`Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,' said Alice; `but when you have to turn into a chrysalis--you will some day, you know--and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?'

`Not a bit,' said the Caterpillar.

`Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,' said Alice; `all I know is, it would feel very queer to ME.'

`You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. `Who are YOU?'

Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation. Alice felt a little irritated at the Caterpillar's making such VERY short remarks, and she drew herself up and said, very gravely, `I think, you out to tell me who YOU are, first.'

Alice

Re: No, Steve, that isn't what I was refering to...

Jocko Homo said:
Well, moderators, I'm still waiting for an answer. Do I have to bring this matter to Jason's attention? It must be resolved, in a fair and open manner. Yes, names have to be named, their "sin" acknowledged, and all the guilty punished.

Jocko
Jocko,

I'm 100% behind your moves on this one. If someone has to be banned then all the info should be out in the open. I was going to start a thread similar to this one myself.

I don't know all of what went on behind the scene's about HH's banning, but if it's for using some sockpuppets, that aren't specifically disallowed by the rules, then it's a crock. Especially as some of the said sockpuppets were as funny as hell and could hardly be called offensive.

The one thing diyaudio DOES NOT need is a bunch of moderators and haphazard deletions like those perpetrated by some of the flaming moron moderators at AA (Tom S is an exception).

That's it. For now.

Brett

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about JH. Can you please explain in detail if you would like me to comment. Thanks.

I don't know all of what went on behind the scene's about HH's banning, but if it's for using some sockpuppets, that aren't specifically disallowed by the rules, then it's a crock. Especially as some of the said sockpuppets were as funny as hell and could hardly be called offensive.

Harry created said puppets to create chaos. So they all go. If someone puts on a mask and kicks you in the nuts, then takes the mask off, you still show him the door.

jason, i don´t want the pull flames on me, and i don´t want to criticize anyone. But: Is a similarity of IP´s proof enough to punish someone? Isn´t it to far to wipe all the members out, someone thinks, not really knows, they are the same person? you can´t do a investigation and some kind of court - final judgement.

Wouldn´t it be right to bann all the persons which had done some missbehavior, like the harryhaller secundaer atavars, and punish the harrahaller only with sinbin?

you give no chance to him than doing what you call trolling again.

we learn this provoke sa situation everyone sees behing everyone else a troll ...(BC108situation...)

don´t missunderstand, i´m happy somehone does the administration and moderation job. gro... has proofed we need some moderators. Better a little to much moderation than no moderation. But maybe this step was a little to fast and too "one way" to be the best step to do in this situation.

excuse my awfull english, Till

I believe Alice made a very valid point!

But it can be expressed differently...and has

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.
The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
“God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!”
The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, “Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me ’tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!”
The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a snake!”
The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
“What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain,” quoth he;
“ ’Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!”
The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said:“E’en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!׆
The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a rope!”
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

Moral:
So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

rt

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If anyone has seen it, a funny image which reads "Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you are still retarded" with a cruel yet darkly humourous photo of a not-so bright kid in a running event.

To my point, why doesn't everyone quit fighting and talk about the stuff that everyone comes here to talk about. The bickering will never cease to quit if it is dragged on and around the forums.

C'mon guys, be a little more mature about things and keep the fighting to your marriages.

-Mike

Jocko,
i was totally occupied/away the last 4 days, so i could not answer.

I do not exactly know what the question you asked is. I do not even pretend to know. You seem quite sure that i know that, but i do not. Email me privately, tell me what you want to know, i will answer privately.

All,
if there are doubts what was going on, email me privately, i will give answers if i know them and i will provide what we considered as evidence. But i would like to discourage further public discussion on the trolling issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.