Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Ok I see mine has only one channel. Does this one work? And if so, is it of considerably lesser quality then the one you recommended?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/elec...ns-stereo-selector-notched-shaft-p-15495.html

I'm not familiar with that one in the link. But for the price point would estimate it is of lesser quality. I would still suggest the Elma after using a sub-part switch in a previous build. The audio sounded like crap until I completely removed it and tested it. Not trying to get you to overspend, just want to help you get a good-sounding build.

As for the one you already have, I'm not sure it is even operable. On one side I see a tab with extra notches - and do not see a corresponding tab on the other side - and there likely should be.

So I ordered this input selector and will try to get it to work. Great that I don't need to solder a PCB and order extra parts! Thanks for this suggestion. Can someone point out how I have to wire it for 3 input channels? Cannot find an instruction online.

PXL_20240119_151836959.jpg

I've more or less finished building my BA2018! Turned it on for the first time yesterday. I am always a little surprised when things work straight away. I was very much in doubt that my soldering skill were up to these tiny SMD transistors.

For this build I used a power supply from fellow diyaudio member Gaz2613. Very easy to put together and with excellent instructions here: Building an improved adjustable Bi-Polar Power Supply! (Updated: 14th Aug 2020) – audiosy.net

I'm also using a Muffsy Relay Input Selector. It supports four inputs, and has mute, standby function, indicator leds and remote control. I added support for motorised volume pot myself. This one is also very easy to build: https://www.muffsy.com/muffsy-relay-input-selector-4.html

I found a nice chassis on eBay which suited my needs perfectly (although it has some alternative spelling on the input selector knob).

Some remaining things to do: Find a sensible way to mount the IR sensor and I will rewire the IEC socket so that L is switched and fused instead of N.
Hello,
Can you share the code for the Muffsy input selector with motorized Alps potentiometer and what pins did you use for control?
Thanks a lot.

Hey Robstr556. Welcome!
I don't recall for sure but I think parts like the transistors will come in a static-resistant bag as opposed to the standard parts like resistors and such. Some people suggest using a grounding wrist strap when soldering which is never a bad idea. Just be mindful of static discharge and you'll be fine. There are likely lots of suggestions within this very thread.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been using Wayne's linestage as a preamplifier for the F4 and as a headphone amplifier for a long time. (My build is shown in post #2,657)
The sound suits me very well.
Lately I've been using low impedance headphones (25 Ohm) and I'm wondering if changing the value of the output resistor R19 is safe and advisable.

27 ohms doubles the impedance of the headphones.

What is your opinion in this regard? Maybe someone has already tried this?