• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

Well a mold is expensive because it's polished by the hand to a mirror look. Average cost is $1000. What about these?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/166312-waveguides-horns-11.html#post2229762

Carbon is available for larger order only or when we will be doing speaker cabs from carbon (maybe in near future) then I tell everyone. We don't have a carrier in US. Who wants?

I just need a mold that has the required shape. I just do not have a lathe or pottery turning stool to build a decent one, I can polish it myself. I figured it would cost money though, No worries.

Waveguideneg02.jpg
Waveguideneg01.jpg

Doug20, Wanna play with this? It is made of polycarbonate. The smaller flange is for the driver. The larger flange is for the waveguide extension. Kudos for your persistence. :xfingers:

Well, It is the hard part for either one. I think sectioning the construction makes the completed horn easier to obtain, though I've been wrong before. ;) I can make the remainder as well...though I'd probably do it in wood...or wood products.
Excellent work Ed, I'd never thought of using polycarbonate for the throat. If you ever make more of these, I'd be up for some as getting accurate dimensioning in the throat is very difficult for most wood turners. This I found out when I commissioned a guy to make some trax for my 2" BMS some years ago. He is an extraordinary craftsman and makes his living from bespoke and repair projects no one else can do and he said it was a fiddly mongrel of a project and didn't want to do more. With the throat and flanges, the rest of it would be much less difficult to make or have made.

Interesting but risky. Simple roundover does the job. Remember JMLC is high fidelity horn and doesn't require any EQ. Sweet spot can be widen using 2-way horn design like "Avantgarde" or with elliptical. With OSWG you will spend plenty hours with passive crossover. Here's a power response of my 12" OSWG driven with my D800-Ti driver and borrowed BMS 4538. While BMS does not ring at HF like DE250 its unusual phase plug affects the sound power or it requires recoiling.

Attachments

• BMS_2.gif
    BMS_2.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_3716.jpg
    IMG_3716.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 657
Interesting but risky. Simple roundover does the job. Remember JMLC is high fidelity horn and doesn't require any EQ. Sweet spot can be widen using 2-way horn design like "Avantgarde" or with elliptical. With OSWG you will spend plenty hours with passive crossover. Here's a power response of my 12" OSWG driven with my D800-Ti driver and borrowed BMS 4538. While BMS does not ring at HF like DE250 its unusual phase plug affects the sound power or it requires recoiling.

JMLC with a simple roundover then.

As Im in the uk- how would I get a pair of these? (18inch, control to 400hz or less)

Do you mean completely new model OSWG+JMLC? Any new model requires minimum 6 pairs to be ordered. Shipping to UK 30-35 GBP.

no, Im happy to have a pair of 'off the shelf' JMLC 350 or JMLC 400 horns, as long as they have a roundover (as they will be stood on there own and not baffle mounted.)

-I assume I can just order 2 of these?- do you sell them painted metallic black?

If yes, could you give me a price for 2x JMLC 400 horns, In black, with delivery to the uk.
Thanks.:)

Unfortunately we cannot paint but we can use metallic gelcoat (similar look). The problem is black is twice as expensive and has short pot life. For one pair we use less than kilogram and we buy 20 kilo minimum so usually it is thrown away. Will ask Autotech if someone ordered auto parts in black. Standard white is 180 GBP a pair plus shipping ca. 30 GBP. I recommend JMLC-350 - 196 GBP (pair) because JMLC-400 has slightly larger throat than 1". What about RAL-7030?

Last edited:
The wife says I can have any colour as long as its black. And I would realy like it in metallic to match my AV rack.

Is the JMLC-400 a 1.4" throat then? Is there any option for different throat sises on the same horn? Do the quoted prices include paint?

-Good prices.:)

Ive not decided on the driver to use in them yet- Im still learning, but I would like to run them fairly low if I can, and im still thinking about using a 2", so I will need to know the options.