• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

And more common 1:8 compression.

Attachments

• kor2.jpg
    kor2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 724
Why such a low compression ratio? Not a good idea IMO. Compression ratio is basically where most of a compression driver/waveguides improved efficiency comes from. Its that efficiency that is the attraction (that and directivity control of course). Basically with CD you need all the efficiency that you can get at the top end. In my speakers the DE250 is running unattenuated at 10 kHz. Lowering the compression drivers efficiency would require the whole system efficiency be lowered. And for what gain? Lower distortion? Not a good trade off since distortion in a compression driver was shown not to be a subjective factor (see my AES paper on this).

Any picture of K1132? Braces - phase plug is brittle (nothing decisive).

Sadly I don't have any pictures, but one difference I see is the K1132 phase plug is shallower on the edges, and was designed for a 2" throat. Basically more the shape of an american football when viewed from the side. I do know the designer was treating the area expansion inside the phase plug as part of the horn, but the overall concept is very similar.

My only thoughts with the braces were in consideration to staggering them between rings (which I think the K1132 does), or perhaps looking at the interaction into a rectangular horn to see if there might be any potential advantages there.