• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

early morning iER...

Enjoyed Wynton and Ellis Marsalis' take on "Peanuts" along with arrangements of Vince Guaraldi's compositions... Amazon.com: Joe Cool's Blues: Wynton Marsalis & Ellis: Music. Really great loudly or softly played on the Grado SR80i. Also look out for Vince Guaraldi albums on "Peanuts".

Equally enjoyable is this Reference Records with Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra. The triangle's sound floated effortlessly among massed strings and loud percussions which never sounded compressed nor mashed together -the clarity was palpable. American, Afro and Euro classicals are exhiliratingly performed together in one album. Amazon.com: Minnesota Orchestra Showcase: Music

:warped:

iER Options

iER - 1-IN/1-OUT Headphones stereo attenuator; Option to combine with V4 or V4x2; depending on combination -it can be switched outputs and/or common/switched inputs
iER^2 - 1-IN/2-OUT Headphones stereo attenuators -common input and separate volume controls for shared HP listening; Option to combine with V4 -switched outputs and inputs
iER^3 - 1-IN/1-OUT; 1-IN/2-OUT Headphones stereo attenuators

I was just listening to Norah Jones' album, "The Fall" Amazon.com: The Fall: Norah Jones: Music. The sound/music in the wrong system can sound boring and dull but what a revelation as it came alive thru the W'speediER tachyon. I was quite disappointed the first time I heard it (not thru a W'speed). Outstanding organ, piano, keyboard, synth work -just in the background complementing Norah glorious laidback vocals making for a 3D-like inside-the-head stage.

The tachyon is housed in a 3.5"x4.7"x1.7" aluminum box. It is powered by an internal 9V battery (6 months of 3-hr/day use). Quiet/black background on any volume level. No power/input switching pops on 98dB/1mW Grados or for any HPs for that matter. Many have asked so here it is: $199 +shipping/paypal.

Attachments

• tachyon.jpg
    tachyon.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Sonny Rollins: Way Out West

I've always seen this album recommended in jazz circles so I picked it from my local library. It is indeed finely recorded with exceptional musicians.

On loudspeakers, SR's sax is hard left and bass and drums are next to each other hard right. Is this correct? A couple of tracks has the sax sound filling middle to left as SR swung his sax towards the mic as he played it? Or he was standing closer to the other two but took a step toward the mic? This tells me though that it was recorded as I hear it. Anyway great sound also on headphones...This album is a remastering on JVC records. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_Out_West_(Sonny_Rollins_album)

Audioquest DragonFly

I was just reading a review of Audioquest's USB DAC/volume control with headphone out and it struck me as having something in common with the WarpspeediER. That is taking advantage of the standard 2Vrms output of most Sources/DACs and in the case of the DragonFly use an internal, efficient volume control and drive headphones from 12-ohm to 600-ohm impedances. http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DragonFly-4pg-Brochure-EN-R1.pdf

Like I have always maintained, 2V is more than enough for even 600-ohm headphones. There is no need for additional voltage amplification. And for 200-ohm or less Source/DAC output impedance we have more than enough current to drive 16-ohm or 32-ohm headphones -no need to current amplify or even buffering. Of course sensitivity is also a factor and I recommend at least 93 dB/1mW.

The advantage of my lightning bug over the DragonFly is its ability to associate with and control really great high-end DACs or one-box digital players...and deliver the now well known Warpspeed quality of sound into your cans or IEMs.

Happy listening!

ps: reading about the DragonFly tells me it was being developed at the same time as the iER.:cool:

:warped:

WarpspeediER^3

iER^3 - 1-IN/1-OUT; 1-IN/2-OUT Headphones stereo attenuators

IN1 outputs to HP1 for personal listening on headphones; Main volume knob controls volume level; Top knobs adjust for L-R channel balance ala xW2 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...ptocoupler-volume-control-18.html#post2892279

IN2 outputs to both HP2 and HP3 for shared personal listening on headphones; Main volume knob controls both HP2 and HP3 volume levels simultaneously; Top right knob finely adjusts volume level of HP2 to taste; Top left knob finely adjusts volume level of HP3

Attachments

• WarpspeediER^3 CE.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 57
From new V4x2 owner pagopher:

"I had the opportunity to do some serious listening this weekend and Allan, I'm stunned at what I'm hearing. Albums that I thought were so so were presenting a tremendous amount of detail.

I had thought that since I was going direct to my amp with the DAC and the phono pre amp that if I didn't lose anything with the Warpspeed that would be great. To my surprise the instruments as really snapping into place with much more clarity and anchoring. The improvement in soundstage is such a dramatic change, I was not prepared for that, so wonderful.

I listened to The Doobie Brothers "Minute by Minute" on vinyl and the percussion and depth were much more in tact; the crack of rim-shots spot on. Steely Dan's, Aja" on vinyl; crazy depth and presence, a great recording to start with, "Black Cow" and "Deacon Blues"was very deep and so much detail. Grover Washington Jr., "Wine light" such a connection to the soul of this music, very hard to break away, this is really the first time and first system I could really connect to this LP and I've had this album since I was 18!

All of this on very run-of-the-mill cables. Some recordings that had exhibited high frequency shrillness now seem much smoother.

Bravo Allan, I'll keep listening."

From another email..."Things are very transparent, we listened to the 180g Paper Airplane lp from Allison Krauss and Union Station which was magical and very liquid. I had to listen to Brubeck's Time out lp as well in honor of a great man."

Speakers are Hawthorne Audio's 98dB/W/m Sterling Silver Duets

Attachments

• pagopher system1.JPG
    pagopher system1.JPG
    581.7 KB · Views: 216
  • pagopher system2.JPG
    pagopher system2.JPG
    672.8 KB · Views: 204
No I have not but you can certainly try using BNC to RCA adapter. RG6 (Zc=75 ohms) is generally used for CATV or video distribution and can pass RF signals in the GHz range. BNC connectors are mostly found on test and measurement equipment.

What advantages, sonicwise or otherwise, do you see going with RG6/BNC? Do you plan on using it on a long run?

In addition, RCA center pins are bigger/sturdier than an RG6/BNC center conductors (AWG#18 solid). A disadvantage when connecting/disconnecting often as in the case of home audio. RG6/BNC or the typical F-connector are more connect and forget types. Although BNC center pin is much better as it comes integral to the connector unlike the F-type.

One more thing with BNCs on RG6 coaxes is the way it is terminated. The RG6 center conductor slips into the BNC center pin and termination is then completed with a compression tool. All connections are therefore just surface-to-surface only.

Where it can be done practically on hi-fi audio applications, I'll take solid solder connections anytime over surface-to-surface, wire-wrapped/twisted, or even crimped connections.

Yeah but the RCA center pin is stuck out there ready and waiting to be broken off at a moments notice.

If you step on it on a hard surface, does it not bend? If a piece of equipment falls off the table, does it not snap off? Leaving the center pin in the socket... at least with BNC it takes the rest of your equipment along with it, sometimes thats a good thing, if for example its connected to a couple of large monoblocks.

And what about that horrible contact pressure on the shield, amirite? What happens to the shield of a RCA connector once its bent? you ever tried bending one of those back with a pair of pliers? haha..

I have no idea what sonic performance difference there will be, I hope it will be a good one. I'm still waiting on my BNC sockets to arrive from china :p

One thing that I do love about RG6 quad copper core is its 18 AWG center conductor, with RCA cables you get a mystery bag and not as many shields....

See this thread for more info: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ople-using-bnc-out-there-rg6-quad-shield.html

Last edited:
If you step on it on a hard surface, does it not bend? If a piece of equipment falls off the table, does it not snap off? Leaving the center pin in the socket... at least with BNC it takes the rest of your equipment along with it, sometimes thats a good thing, if for example its connected to a couple of large monoblocks...

I'll never make interconnect runs across foot traffic areas. Tripping accident waiting to happen, and with BNC connectors your equipment will be dragged and fall off the rack before the connectors break. More broken pieces than just a broken center pin with RCAs:)

I'm quite familiar with RG6 as hundreds of miles were ran here at the world's largest building by volume/floor space, the Boeing Factory in Everett, WA List of largest buildings in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. In 2008-09 I was the project engineer from design to commissioning and on-air testing/acceptance to provide DAS (Distributed Antenna System) 3G wireless service. The cellsites around the area simply cannot penetrate into the factory's massive volume.

Here's a couple more to add to the menu

The iER^2.1 is a 1-IN/2-HP OUT Warpspeed -the 1-IN is switchable between the 2-HP OUTs; For the hobbyist with at least 2 headphones; An easy A-B'ing of 2 headphones with a flick of the switch; No switching transient pops and clicks even on very high sensitivity 'phones

The iER^2.1-xW2 is a 1-IN/2-HP OUT Warpspeed -the 1-IN is shared between the 2-HP OUTs simultaneously; For the hobbyist who wants to share great music/movie sound without disturbing the neighbors; Fine level control is available for each HP Out to serve both listeners' comfort level

Have a peaceful and joyous Christmas with your family and loved ones everyone!:snowman:

Attachments

• WarpspeediER^2.1 CE.jpg
    WarpspeediER^2.1 CE.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 235
  • WarpspeediER^2.1 CE -xW2.jpg
    WarpspeediER^2.1 CE -xW2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 233