• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wanting to start a DIY tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lots of interesting comments and many thanks for the replies. I still have a lot to think about from these replies, but the most likely route for me at this time will be to go with an SE amp. If the amp turns out to not be a good match for my speakers, I will then trade them in. My style of listening is light, with preference to acoustics. I do like the occasional heavy bass, but what I currently have with my system, ran by a Harmon Kardon av100 receiver, is satisfying. I do not think the SE would be any worse. My preamp project is going well so far, hoping to finish it in about two or three days. As for multiple inputs, I would not mind a switch for selection of source to amp.

Here's another vote for the tubelab products!
I love my tubelab SE (not simple). Built it a couple of years ago. I've built 5 amps since I built the tubelab se, and none beat it. I try, but can't. It cost me less than that bottlehead kit, too, but I had to do slightly more work. I had to order all my own components and build my own chassis.

Attachments

• ampside3.jpg
    ampside3.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 175
Actually, November looks like about the time when I will be starting to build my tube amp. I had originally planned to build the S.E.X amp, but the tubelab sounds like a good option as well. I am having some difficulty figuring out which is the better, the Simple SE or the Tubelab SE. Both appear to be in my price range (sub $800) From my readings, the 45 version reads like it would be more preferable to my style.

also, don't worry too much about all the "what kind of music do you listen to" questions. Sure, it does matter, but I think everything sounds good out of my SET, from banging techno, to Jazz, to drum-n-bass to classical (im listing the extremes, but of course rock falls somewhere in the middle there, and from mellow ballads to pop, to heavy rock, again, it all sounds good).
- I, like many other budget hi-fiers use Fostex drivers, and I should mention I DO use a powered subwoofer. It's filter is set to about 90hz.

I haven't built the simple se, so I can't compare and contrast it w/ the SE, but the SE ROCKS!

a 45 doesn't have much power and might not be enough for you, but others should have more info for you there. I'm using cheap 300b's.

That would be great if you could send it to me. I actually have a degree in machining and used to work as a machinist. Now I am in the medical field and like to dabble in this type of stuff for fun. A friend still has access to the plant I worked at, so I think I would be able to have them drill the holes for me. BTW, what type of tubes are you using?

the rectifier is a 5u4g, and the power tubes are 300bs.. those are mesh plates in teh picture, but I can't afford any more, so I rarely use them :). usually just cheap chinese 300b's.. (the kind that are 100-150 for a pair). Input tubes are raytheon, and I forget the type.. whatever the instructions say to use.

I just printed out my cad template and drilled it by hand. If you're going to have a machine do it, you may have to modify my drawing, but u'd know more about that than me.
I'll let you know if I find it.

The big cap is an ebay motor run 80 or 100uf.

HIgh efficency speakers are a double edged sword.

They are wonderful for not requiring lots of power, and as a general rule have lower distortion.

However, the higher efficency also means the background noise floor of your amp needs to be lower. Every dB in efficency requires another dB lower noise floor so you don't hear the hum and hiss.

Has anyone measured the power required for your normal listening level? Last time I did was in college long ago. Klipsch Herasey (96dB/W-M) from a Sony STR5800SD in a 14 X 12 room with moderate throw rugs, drapes couch, etc, ran 32mW average and peaked around 1W. This was a moderate level that allowed easy conversation.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Im surpriced noone tried a small 2way with Eminence Beta-8A
Its cheap
Highish SPL
With the "low" 93db sensitivity its not hard to find a good tweeter
And it would still be 90db after bsc
People says it does sound fine, even much higher up than needed
Fs is only 65hz, but looks ok tuned to 50hz
Or just use in a closed box
Anyway, many people are happy with much less
I have heard a small 5" sound fine in a closed
Probably easy to make it work
Maybe a light coating would do good
Im sure it would be good partner fore a small tubeamp with highish output impedance

Power meaurements at speakers

I will.. tell me how :)
I've a scope, and a synthesizer (lets call it a "signal generator"). Obviously a multimeter, too, but for ac it only measures hundreds of volts. If there's a way to do it w/out lugging the synth up here, all the better. (Its a giant modular synth I built)

I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Steven

Well, I just finished building the Seduction preamp. Successfully. I will start building a SE amp sometime in the next two months and will post my results here. I haven't decided if I will make the tubelab SE or the upcoming bottlehead stereoumour, but it will most likely be one of those two with 45 tubes. If my speaker won't match them, I'll go to the diy speaker forum and start making a pair!!! :) Thanks to everybody who offered advice, it was most helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.