• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

wanted: TDA1541A S1 or S2 Crown

Don't buy on DIYA ;)

I should send it to Pedja Rogic to be sure, but I'm lazy ! The S1 is way better without this little harchness in the mid-highs which is Killing me ! (the normal TDA1541A have not either this default !)

Btw I purchased my AD1862 at Rochester to be sure they are genuine : expensive but reliable !

Last edited:
IMG_4083.JPG

Well the fonts on your Taiwan chip appears to be correct.
Lets not forget that TDA have wider tolerances hence the
apperance of measured & selected S1 & 2
Well I recalled Pedja saying if it sounds different it is the
Taiwan chip but I don't recall him saying it sounds better. Lol

Cheers

Last edited:
yep 10 years apart indeed, so not a prove but why change the marking ?! (font are near but not the same as you see, the old one are thinier and in the meantime has this base tray on the 1 number)

This is more my ears who said to me it has a problem... if not I never will see the difference at close inspection as you didn't see it at once on the post 36 photograph !

if the AYA distors in the mid-treble with it (sort of H3) i have no this problem with the S1 and others less transparent normal TDA1541 ! I should sent it to Pedja Rogic, or maybe the balance of my hifi is sensible in the mid-highs, dunno !

ah, good sign if the same as CD Marantz ?! marantz cd player cd 16se 2 marantz - Hifi audio

Or damned !: THIS IS A TDA1547 lol !

https://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.canuckaudiomart.com%2Fuploads%2Flarge%2F433267-marantz_cd7.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckaudiomart.com%2Fdetails%2F648994381-marantz_cd7%2Fimages%2F433266%2F&docid=jr7yVtkWDASo-M&tbnid=q78331dM_nM0XM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjetK-uv4vUAhWTSxoKHablDCUQMwh2KEcwRw..i&w=1024&h=768&bih=754&biw=1600&q=marantz%20cd7&ved=0ahUKEwjetK-uv4vUAhWTSxoKHablDCUQMwh2KEcwRw&iact=mrc&uact=8

P1180215.JPG

marking seems thinier than mine while the font is the same, but hard to say !

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/tda1541a-and-model-s-usb-part-4-tda1541a-grades-and-series/ (the top of the "8" seems different from mine and also less thick on the Pedja's
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/308095-wanted-tda1541a-s1-s2-crown-4.html#post5089470

as far it talks Tai and not Thai.... lol !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you look at the other side, you can look at a marking which was maybe the injection plastic port : they have all the same width on all my tda chips but the Taiwan 98 at the left which is larger (around 1/4 widther) : so defintly not the same machine Tools for production or from elswhere !

Any ideas or testimonials ? Hope also it can help other members to source good ones ! But my idea is many bad tda chips you can see on the EBay markett are perhaps second sorted choice after quality control ! It could be cool if some guys of Philips whom read us have any idea ! (not vendors)

As said before, I bought the last box directly from Philips when they were about to abandon one of their locations in the Netherlands. I was offered all inventory. When I examined the list I found what I absolutely did not expect to find. A very large quantity of various TDA chips was listed. I only bought TDA1541A. These were made when Marantz CD7 was about to be produced. Marantz CD7 was introduced somewhere in early 1999. All machinery for production was transferred to Taiwan and some runs of TDA chips were made. The 1998 Taiwan chips that went to EC Designs were original ones. When I got the box it was unopened, I was the first that opened it. I lost 85 of them to a chinese scammer, some were sold to private persons and the bulk went to EC. These sound fine, you are the only one complaining. People that buy these like them. They are certainly not fake. Maybe you understand some of the reluctance to show production numbers as showing pics of genuine numbers possibly gives scammers new ideas. I assume the 85 chips were rebranded as S1 or S2 as I later found out that the "buyer" was dishonest and notorious (under various other names).

So people that bough these from the mentioned source don't need to worry. It is also very likely that no other source sells chips with these exact markings. I would not buy any TDA chip on Ebay as that is the main channel for selling rebranded IC's.

Last edited:
I'm glad both my chip is genuine and Peter Daniel (best TDA1543 DAC ever) is here.
I believe it's a great opportunity you offer to members.

JP; I thinks these guys are artists to make fakes, don't need me or you ! They can mistake even museum directors : they now where to dig the clay in the original place to make a counterfeit, how to old it, etc... they are clever if not honnest. The font on your chip is exactly the one on the top left chip on Peter Daniel photograph ! As you see it is whiter, thicker, a little different : it looked odd to me !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
True but as explained there is little chance of buying a fake one with that date code and numbers except when buying from Ebay and the like. The more sources the more chances one buys a flaky one. Simple. 85 of them got lost in China and are likely stamped with one or two crowns.

Same with the S2 chips Peter offers, I got my S2 from that same source and they are genuine.

Last edited:
I agree and have no doubt about your honesty and John's one as already said.

Like with IT, it's easier to fake the people when you are on the place, I might imagine for instance the batch you bought could have been sold by a bad guy from a Philips factory, etc...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I might imagine for instance the batch you bought could have been sold by a bad guy from a Philips factory, etc...

You should watch less movies ;)

I even made pics of the box but I am too lazy to search for them. As fakes then also were discussed I could just wait for "my" chips to get the same comments. The box was officially labelled. There is way more chance your DAC has some problem (as it sounds only not OK in your DAC) or that your chip is damaged from severe ESD/overvoltage than that the chip is fake.

Last edited: