Wanted-Circuit Diagram for Pioneer A400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

So did I , but I have been informed by Blue Max that the demand kept the A400 in production until 1996 (1990-1996) and was sold alongside the A400x.
A classic case of public opinion and taste getting the better of negative press (UK and USA) and for once anti-east sentiment took a back seat. But to be rated recently as number 6 out 25 of the all time best (Hi Fi Choice) is really something.

regards

keith birss

For the benefit of those who where asking about the A400x, I outlayed several C-notes on one back in the nineties and was somewhat disappointed. I listened for a couple of years until I figured I could build a better amp myself. And I could. I used the Pioneer's case and power supply to do so, because they were IMO, good.

Externally, the only obvious differences of the A400X to the A400 were the omission of the headphone socket, a gold bead on each of the dials(!), 8 speaker outputs so you can easily use different cables for HF and LF when biwiring. From what I remember, the A400X wasn't mains earthed, losing the 'Clean Ground System' design of the A400 and acquiring a 'Wide Dynamic Linear Circuit'(?) which was also used in other standard Pioneer models, allowing it to be sold to countries where an earth wasn't available i.e it became more mass market. The fact that the A400 'dumped' its junk in the signal to the earth was part of its success. I was told by a guy(can't remember his name) who ran a hi-fi shop in Redditch King Fisher shopping centre and then Shirley for a short while, that he was on the UK listening panel for Pioneer when it was launched and that if you took out the earth wire the whole sound stage would collapse.(I haven't yet tried this though). In fact I remember the original instructions which I may still have, placing a greater than usual emphasis on ensuring that it was earthed.

Internally as most of you have probably seen, they are quite different. I haven't heard the A400X but do remember some reviews stating it as being better than the A400. However the way the market was at the time and the components it was being used with, it wouldn't surprise me if the outcome came this way. My Technics A700mk2 sounded 'better' than my A400 at the time. However used today with a better source and more revealing speakers there's no comparison!

Hi all
I have had several models in the A400/A300 series in the past; but no longer.
So glad to see that Mudan is enthusiastic about A400, as ever ;)

Here is an extract from notes I found:-
"The original A400 was produced between 1990 and 1995.
The output devices used ceased production and the amplifiers had to be redesigned and re-launched as A400X and A300X. Manufacturing shifted from Japan to Malaysia. To maintain the family identity they were made to look very similar."

A fact sheet that I put together can be found at
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/a400.htm
Couple of the links are not working though.

JC

In reply to Blue_max,

Yes I'm happily using my A400 with my Sony SCD-XA3000ES and AE Aegis Evo 3 speakers.

However, I recently have not been using my hi-fi as much(hence no upgrading) and have to compare the A400 to more recent amps. Being that it sounds better and worlds apart from the slightly old NAD C370, I can't see it being too far off current models.

On top of that, mine with its many modifications sounds significantly better than a standard A400.

See further down the following page for the mods done:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34327&highlight=

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.