Wanted: Aluminium Construction Tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried using my 8" Drill Press , just had to remove a belt and rotate the head which instead of drill mounted had tap and wola. I have been using as well an "Aluminium cutting liquid 09" which really does the job. Controlling the pressure by other hand and that's it. It worked for me.

Peter please post some new pics, I am eager to see your advice always. Pictures are always saying more than words.

Trigon

Do be careful when tapping small holes with a drill! I've broken numerous #8 taps with the Dewalt on low speed and the clutch at minimum. :bawling: I started using the drill only for 1/4" and larger holes in aluminum and plastic. With a little practice, tapping small holes by hand is pretty easy. Starting with the correct hole diameter is essential. I prefer being able to feel the resistance so that I don't break the tap or gall the threads. But that's just me ;)

now, try tapping a 6" long rod of 1/2" unleaded brass on a lathe... Took -30dB ear plugs to stand the screech despite copious amounts of real cutting fluid. All to save $5.00US on a piece from McMaster! :xeye:

Agree with the "Clipped Tap" method :up:

For all the fastener information you could want, including tap drill diameters, check outAmerican Fastener's Tech Charts.

Regards,

Mark Broker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.