Want to build Large 3 Way - Suggestions for Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you read through the site and note all the wanky pretentious bits, you may notice the only missing team member is a reiki practitioner.

I see your point...

"A Reiki healing is very simply performed. The practitioner places his or her hands upon the person to be healed with the intent for healing to occur, and then the energy begins flowing. The Reiki energy is smart since the Universe is a very smart place indeed. The energy knows where to go, and what to do once it gets there, or else is being directed by a higher intelligence. The energy manages its own flow to and within the recipient. It draws through the healer exactly that amount of energy which the recipient needs. All this happens without direct conscious intervention by the healer. The healers job is to get out of the way, to keep the healing space open, and to watch/listen for signs of what to do next."

Anywho...

Anilva, I'm interested to know your reason for wanting a Ribbon and Dome tweeter in the same design, care to enlighten me?

What sort of music do you plan to listen to with this? Might just help give an insight into what exactly is needed.

I am planning to build large flor standing 3 way speaker systems. I want to model them around Legacy Audio Focus HD speakers..

If money is not a big constraint, why not just buy them? To reproduce them, you may well end up spending a big % of the same $$ and a LOT of time.

Now, if you just want to make something your own, then welcome!
(to the asylum!! :eek: )

I noticed nobody really replied to your query. It might help if you stated WHY you want to follow the Focus HDs. Also what size cabinets you are willing to tolerate. Plus all the details about your electronics, subs, the room, what kind of music you play and so on.

If you like ribbons, the Ravens from Orca Design are quite nice. Raven
If you want to go nuts, you can get the long Bohlender-Graebeners BG Radia - Home Theater Systems

But better comments require more info from your side methinks.

Thanks for all the replies. Many suggestions are good ones that I can explore or see if I can modify a bit.

I love big speakers and I saw and heard the Legacy Focus HD speakers and very very impressed with them.

I am big lover of clean treble and therefore I have always wanted to build something around a ribbon tweeter. Yes Neos, Ravens are the ones I would like to have. I am not mad after bass, but would definitely like a balanced design and not just treble focussed.

I like the speakers to be high efficiency types and should be able to reproduce from low volumes to high volumes well, particularly music (classical and rock) fed from vinyl sources. Once in a while, I might use it for HT, but is not a criteria. More than anything else, I would like to have two solid imposing front ends which can be produce very high SPL while maitaining High Fidelity. Impossible wishlist?

Money is not a big criteria for DIY and I love DIY. I have excellent access to a good carpenter as well. Ofcourse, I can buy Legacy Focus HD, but what is the fun? They are also quite expensive!

I can run a simulation of 10" Dayton reference woofers, instead of 8" Dayton reference woofer used in "Statement" design suggested in one of the replies (Statements). Looks good. They use a Ribbon. Looks a good design to adapt.

The Zaph design looks good too (Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower). May be I can adapt a ribbon to it.

Cheers.

You are FAR better off building the design as documented. Unless you are *very* experienced with Loudspeaker building (and particularly crossover design), you should almost certainly stick with a proven design OR make your own design with expert help. (..Madisound provides this as a service.)

While not providing the treble you are seeking, this design from Tony G. is perhaps a bit more "grande". :D

Humble Homemade Hifi

BTW, Tony *also* provides services (but likely at a FAR greater premium than Madisound), but he is also a LOT more experienced (..with full proven designs and final crossover "tunning"). This is just his DIY site, he also has a full "boutique" business as well (..catering to those who want something different, or something similar but better .. and of course can pay).

BTW, this is the tweeter you want (..there aren't any commercial ribbon manufacturers as good):

RAAL

But they aren't cheap, especially if you "spring" for the amorphous core version.

I am planning to build large flor standing 3 way speaker systems. I want to model them around Legacy Audio Focus HD speakers.

Therefore would like to have 2 X 12" Woofers, 2 X Midrange and Dome+Ribbon Tweeter.
Why try to clone something that you can't get any of the drivers for? Starting with different units will effectively mean a scratch build anyway, so just go for the best drivers and design you can.

If you want pleated or ribbon HF drivers, there is the Beyma TPL150 with or w/o waveguide, Fountek NeoPro 5i or the Mundorf AMTs. I'd just go with a good compression driver and WG myself.

I would like the box to be ported.
If the subs are doing the LF, why?
However, the Eminence 3012HO has excellent measured results and a pair would give excellent output. Also see the No Quarter's from the same guy.

My primary use would be music and then movies.

I have a twin 12" sub woofer system, which will pair with this for low frequencies.
What are the subs? Where do you want to X them to the mains and what are you using for a xover?

Need suggestion from forum members for the woofers (money is not a big constraint) and the midranges.

Thanks.
Zaph has some driver test info on 6.5-7" drivers and 8" drivers I like the B&C 8PS21, but would suggest the 8PE21 for mids.

When I have some more info, I'll give some suggestions.

I also agree with ScottG above in this: either build someone else's design verbatim, or design something for yourself.

Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower

i would go for that.

i didn't heard this kit but i made my own 3 way with sb12" and morel mids and tweeters.
all i can say bass wise you have to be insane in the membrane to put two of these in one box:crazy:.
if you go with these drivers you will have to get rid of your sub also cause you'll have too much bass.
when i watch HD movies with this setup the walls are shaking and the sofa rumbles my A** till i have to go to the toilets:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.