Wanna see a pic of my subwoofer?? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to move as much air you would need twice the excursion on the 10 to do the same spl as the 12 does ! lol

ppl say things without any proof

you can port them..if u want to spend heaps on PRs you can... 10$ pvc does the same job.

just use winisd,and make massive port,like mine

40cmx10cm x 95cm long

:-D 25hz tuning on jbl

it looks like im getting a JBL2226H like www.speakerbuilding.com *almighty subwoofer* article.

:nod: :devily: :devily: :devily:

mikee12345 said:
to move as much air you would need twice the excursion on the 10 to do the same spl as the 12 does ! lol

ppl say things without any proof

you can port them..if u want to spend heaps on PRs you can... 10$ pvc does the same job.

just use winisd,and make massive port,like mine

40cmx10cm x 95cm long

:-D 25hz tuning on jbl

it looks like im getting a JBL2226H like www.speakerbuilding.com *almighty subwoofer* article.

:nod: :devily: :devily: :devily:

umm.. okay.. lol
I want a small box..... I want one not much bigger than my current one, which is about 50litres.... I want something I can move to a friends house, that looks good, and that has no chance of me stuffing it um.. lol I considered getting 2 Peerless XLSs instead of getting 1 and the passive radiators, then makeing some nice big (about 2 meter high) speaker boxes.. :) do a 4 way system or something.. lol

mikee12345 said:

ur jokn about the shiva right? lol www.adireaudio.com

XLS 12inch -its 12.5mm one way peak

44mm sounds like- 2way Xmech

personaly i prefer a labhorn,il get one,ONEDAY!:mafioso:

:nod: :)

Yeah, my mistake... lol, its 44mm Xmech, and 12.5mm X-max.. which is better than my subs current 3mm Xmax.. :D lol

Nope, lol, never heard of shiva.. lol :D But I'm not going to be able to get them in Australia, am I? :) I'm not willing to spend more than about $300 on a single driver either...

Skinny,

If you decide to go with a Shiva / Tempest.

I recommend John Woodhead from Acoustic Concepts (www.acousticconcepts.com.au) (probably the Vic. seller you were referring to). I won't tell you the price he sold me the Shiva for (may have changed - don't want to set wrong expectation) - but at the time, the peerless was approx $30 cheaper. I think now, they are probably much the same. Either could be had for around the $300 you mentioned.

BTW - I think the peerless XLS 12" is great too (a friend has one). Either way (Adire / Peerless) - you can't go wrong. The Peerless does have a rubber surround (whereas Shiva is foam) - so might speak for longevity.

PS: Wanna test xmech? - get an average quality mic and try out karaoke! - geez - should have seen the ol' shiva moving and shaking last night! (some noise / crap from the mic I suspect).

David.

Skinny,

Can you get the PRs for the Peerless at trade $ as well? - are you going to go for 1 or 2?

If you are after SPL, then you'll need xmax with "inefficient" drivers (both peerless and shiva are < 90dB???). Shiva has the slight advantage there.... a good question about XMech - i don't know which one is better for both the drivers (I'm sure I've driven my shiva past xmax and haven't heard it pop yet).

I'm guessing PR's won't unload like a port - so without an infrasonic filter and very low tuning, I guess the Peerless with PRs (1 or 2) would be better to minimise risk of driver damage at high power or low frequency) operation.

Also, I believe the peerless has proper binding posts (shiva has cheap tabs). At $200 trade (not factoring the PR cost), the peerless seems favourable to me.

Dave.

Did you post a new pic? (couldn't see it). So.... you are using the 8 inchers as PRs - did you smack the magnet assemblies off? (that's the most delicate way I could put it).

Have you tuned it, or are just doing it for an experiment?...

Hey - why not use the ports as well as the PRs and come up with something radical - say a ported, TL, PR sub (use the ports as tapered lines for the PRs)!

Dave.

Umm.. lol these are the drivers for my 2 ways.. :) I haven't go the money, time, patience or resources to make the boxes at the moment, so I stuck em in my subwoofer box.. :D lol

And, I bought then from interstate, at trade price, but thats a secret.. the woofers were $75 each compared to $160 from Altronics.... The tweeters were $35 compared to $62 from Altronics.... all prices are Australian $$.. lol :) well, I'm happy, how about you?? I wanted good quality that would last me till I die (or can afford something bigger) It was Peerless or ReSponse from Jaycar, and the ReSponse were actually more expensive.. :rolleyes: lol

Thanks for the info on parts suppliers. I was looking at citysouthelectronics - seems to have the best price (and good at responding to my e-mails).

Assuming you are going passive for your xovers - can you tell me where you were going to get your xover components from? (Shipping inductors from USA is pricey - considering rolling my own). There is nothing decent in NZ (well low resistance inductors anyway)

Dave.

Okay.. heres the plan.. :D I make my 60litre boxes with the 8inch peerlesses and 1inch Tweeters.... I finish them piano style.. lol If and when I get more money, I hack a hole in the side of each box to mount a 12inch subwoofer and enclose the 8inch into a small (10litre) sealed box.... anyone see any problems with that? :) I'll make the bracing in the box suitably spaced so the 12inch will fit... that leaves a 50litre box for a tuned sub... what one would you reccomend? budget is like $200... peerless 10inch or 12inch? lol or something else? :)

If you are only doing a 6dB slope on the tweeter, by what people say around here.... just make sure you XO well above Fs of the tweeter, or ensure you don't feed it a heck of a lot of power or you'll bow it.

It seems to me minimalist is the ideal way to go for xovers - as John Murphy says... "xovers are evil, but a necessary evil".

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.