Wadia Holography!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I played an entire CD last night on the Wadia without issue. first I tried the track I was having problems with when i first fired up the wadia and it still skipped. I I tried another cd and it played fine...SO, it is something on tracks 9 & 10 of this cd that is causing the issue. yet track 11 played just fine and those tracks play fine on every other cd player or reader in the house. So the good news is that I have some time to find a laser for the Wadia, the bad news is that I need a new cd LOL! I guess that's the cheaper option.

Clean the chrome slide rails of the laser with alcohol very well so the laser slides freely, the with a cotton bud dipped in watch makers oil (very fine oil) rube the bud over the rails. (note this is only for KSS151A) as they have brass slide bearings, other laser are sometimes nylon, do not use oil on these, a castor bean grease is ok like motor mechanics use on disc brake seals.

Cheers George

I don't think there's a mechanical problem. If there were, the player would skip in the same position on every CD, and that doesn't seem to be the case. But it doesn't mean all is well.
Going out of adjustment and/or becoming worn is a gradual process, so problems occur with faulty discs first and it may take some time to get worse enough to become a problem for good discs. However, I would expect that you're not getting the performance from the Wadia anymore it should be capable of.

When I had my Nak CD-4 repaired, it would still play mosts CDs fine. Hence it came as no surpise to me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it at first. So, I sent them the CD it started skipping on.
When I received back the CD-4 there was a note saying that the CD I had sent was a bad pressing (duh). But it did play fine again on the readjusted machine!

I think it was just a problem with the cd I was trying to play. seems to play fine on every other cd. I spoke with a Wadia engineer friend today and he told me that the top bear can be problematic. when it wears it allows the platter to rise slightly throwing the adjustments off. He suggested I check mine.

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.