VU meter on lo-fi amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, sorry if this is wrong section :)

I am working on a small amp box for playing guitar on the street (basically a box with included amplifier, powered by a 12V battery). I was going to use this with 2x18W speakers (at 4ohm).

I was wondering if I could hook some VU meters (two, one for each speaker (left / right, if you will)) up, and how to do it? I am a bit confused about what specifications I am looking for, and was hoping you could help me out.
Something like this should do the trick aesthetically, but I have no idea if that would work with my configuration (the TDA7297-powered amp wired on two speakers).

Unfortunately your links didn't open for me.
And since no one has answered yet, here is mine:

1. Construyasuvideorocola.com has a good and free vu meter project. It is tested by them and very well documented.
Proyectos DIY construya un vumetro estereo
It has a downloadable PDF with PCB layout etc. The circuit uses conventional LM3915 and works with a 12V dc Supply.

2.There is also a good and LARGE 40 LED VU meter circuit posted on youtube.
Stereo VU Meter with 80 LEDs - YouTube
The project link is in the description of the video.
http://podsviceni.com/vu.rar
They provided the PCB layout in Eagle format. Though the files throw errors when loaded in Eagle, the layout is super simple and correct.
I personally tested it and it worked like a charm! But you need a decent soldering skill.
It works with 12 volt supply too.
If you want to add the vumeter after your preamplifier section, just increase the value of 100K to 3.6Meg.
This will increase the sensitivity of the circuit dramatically.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.